The Library Beacon
St Paul Public Library
HALE MEMORIAL HAMLINE BRANCH LIBRARY
MOVING DAYS ARE OVER
The present Hamline Branch Library is an outgrowth of a small
station opened in 1908 in a millinery store on Snelling Avenue. By 1918
the station had been moved six times, finally being situated in a rented
store within a stone's throw of the first home. With a trained librarian
in charge the use of the Library increased by leaps and bounds, until, on
September 2, 1930, the new Hamline Branch Library on Minnehaha
Street was opened to the public. This building, the gift of Mr. and Mrs.
Henry Hale, was formally dedicated with appropriate ceremonies on October 9, 1930.