This house was built on the north side of Lake Shaokatan in 1878. It still stands, and was remodeled some time later. It was the home of Andrew Crain which was occupied later by his son and family and then later by a grandson and family, Dick Crain. This picture is of the P.K. Petersen family who lived there for a couple of years about 1895.
A photograph showing the exterior of the Cottonwood County Bank, built in 1895. A man and a child stand in front of the bank. An outside stairway is on the right side of the photograph and leads up to an apartment.
St. Thomas Literary and Debating Society in front of the old Administration Building. Seated in the front are the officers of the society: William O'Malley, Vice President; Reverend Terence Moore, President; Reverend William Lunner; James Doyle, Secretary.
A group of girls photographed in Wabasha, Minnesota. At least one of the girls became a Carleton student at a later date. Anna Satory Hicks (in the middle of the photo) is a daughter of John and Genevieve Satory, mother of John Hicks and great-aunt of John Satory (La Crosse, Wisconsin).
Chappell and Doughtery grocery. The dray team at the left belonged to C. H. Newton who is on the dray. Mr. Daugherty is in the left entrance and Mr. Chappell is in the right with C. W. McKay the Northern Pacific agent further to the right.
Illustrated trade catalog highlighting Minnesota Sandstone (Kettle River Sandstone) and its uses for sills, steps, ashlar, paving, curbing, flagging, mill blocks, and bridge and building stone. Includes statements from men who used the sandstone for prominent Minneapolis buildings.
Hennepin County Library, James K. Hosmer Special Collections Library
The play was given at the Courthouse Hall in 1895 by the Floral Club (later the Students Club) to raise funds to further interest in gardening. Front row, left to right: W.P. Fowler, Mrs. J.W. Harris, Henry Leaman (or Dr. Harris?), Mrs. F.A. Hancock, Mrs. Chas. Garlick, Mrs. Henry Wolff. Second row, left to right: Mrs. Elliot, Mrs. Brown, Mrs. Curtiss, Mrs. H.W. Stone, Mrs. Mary Pearce, Mrs. Mary Butterfield, A.A. Stone. Back row, left to right: Mrs. Messersmith, Mrs. Getz, S.J. Stebbins, Chas. Pepper (tall), J.D. Gillespie, F.E. Newell, H. Ward Stone, Henry Wolff (or Pete Ross?), Dr. H.L. Hulburd, Rev. A.H. Tebbets, Mrs. Tebbets.
Top photo is a print of the campus in 1878. Bottom photo is a view of the campus in 1895, from the college to northeast. It shows part of 1 1/2 mile long, 8 ft high fence enclosing the discontinued Kittsondale Fairgrounds and Racetrack north of St. Anthony Avenue.
Two story brick building, 4 gabled windows on upper level, horse drawn carriage in foreground with two women dressed in black coats in front seat, possibly a third person in the backseat. Two dark horses are attached to carriage they are standing still for photo. A single story building is to the left of the bank, it says "Lumbe" (Lumber) along top, a man is standing in the doorway.
1894 annual report of the Board of Public Works of the City of St. Paul. This report tells the story of the development and use of the roads, sidewalks, sewers, gas lines and electricity. This information is gathered from primary resources of the period and goes into much detail. This reliable information is presented in reports, fold out statistical data sheets, maps, black and white photographs and sketches.
Publication detailing the purpose of the school, academic calendar, expenses associated with the school, admission requirements, classes offered, graduation requirements, and the model school. In addition, the catalog lists the faculty and students by class for the year. Other information includes campus buildings, equipment, library, student groups, and the alumni association, The State Normal School, founded in 1869, changed names several times: St. Cloud State Teachers College (1921), St. Cloud State College (1957), and St. Cloud State University (1975).