Expansion of Monastery (1880-1909). This aerial view of St. Benedict's Convent/Academy campus (1909) shows the extent of the 40-year growth of the Benedictine community and its academy from the 1863 church/convent/school complex to this impressive campus. About five years after this photograph was taken, the addition of the spacious, copper-domed chapel and the Teresa Hall addition to the academy/college, gave St. Benedict's Convent the appearance of a full-fledged monastery with the college under its wing (Saint Benedict's Monastery Archives).
St. Benedict's Academy (1883-1909). The fact that a room was already set aside for art in the late 1890s attests to the sisters' desire to cultivate the love of beauty. The academy catalogues show the variety of courses that were available including oil painting. St. Benedict's Academy (later College) has produced notable artists, for example, Sister Thomas Carey, among its faculty and students throughout its history (Saint Benedict's Monastery Archives).
The Avoca baseball team in the early 1900's. Pictured in the back row, Otto Rakness, Jim Crowely, Jim Fitzpatrick, John Farrell, Joe Crowley and Adolph Peterson. Front row, George Rakness, Louis Westby, Axel Frisk, Dave Johnston and Ted Mahoney.
Proctor, near Duluth, was the home base of the Duluth Missabi and Iron Range Railway and its predecessor roads the D&IR and the DM&N. Proctor was created in 1892 when the railroad was extending into Duluth and needed large flat areas. It was the largest such yard in the world. In 1894, the village was incorporated as Proctorknott after J. Proctor Knott, a U.S. Congressman from Kentucky who delivered a satirical speech ridiculing Duluth. The name was later shortened to Proctor. Thousands of cars were handled daily.
University of Minnesota Duluth, Kathryn A. Martin Library, Northeast Minnesota Historical Collections
Expansion of Monastery (1880-1909. Though a far cry from the car and bus services now available for St. Benedict's Convent, this horse-drawn "bus" and a carriage were the only means of transportation for the sisters and the academy students in the early 1900s (Saint Benedict's Monastery Archives).
Expansion of Monastery (1880-1909). The carriage used by the sisters around 1900 was very likely the vehicle that met students and candidates at the St. Joseph train depot. It had first belonged to the administrator of the St. Cloud Diocese and is still preserved in St. Benedict's Monastery Museum (Saint Benedict's Monastery Archives).
Schools in St. Cloud (1869-1909). In 1902, when Sister Eleanor Irving was the principal of Holy Angels Grade School in St. Cloud, she opened a ninth grade for 25 students with the help of Sisters Basilia Cosgrove and Adelia Schmitt. This was the beginning of what would become Cathedral High School. With the addition of tenth through twelfth grade and new buildings, Cathedral High School would reach a peak enrollment of 1,621. A total of 225 Benedictine sisters served on the faculty and staff of Cathedral High School during its first 100 years. Records of the early graduates show that the first student who persevered to graduate from the high school was Emily Ladner; in 1905 three graduated: Anna Doyle, Charles Lauermann and Theodore Stember; and in 1907, seven graduated: Magdaline Burns, Irene Cannon, Mary Denery, Joseph Doyle, Mary Libert, Margaret Moriarity and Louise Stember (Saint Benedict's Monastery Archives; Voigt, page 41).
A postcard showing a street scene of Deer River with two churches and the High School. The foundation for the Methodist Episcopal Church was built in 1906 and the building dedicated September 3, 1908. Written on the back: "Mrs. Hans Jue, South Haven, Minn. Dear ma, I will tell you we got the pagages (sp) you sent. Tanking (sp) you folks manie (sp) times. They were just find (sp) only little long. and Irene was proud of what she got and said tank (sp) grandma. Ill write more next time, Cary and all. xxxxxxxx, answer soon."
Minnesota Annual Conference United Methodist Church
Two men are posed by the front of a Chicago and North Western train engine. A hand operated turntable is visible in the rear. A wooden pilot (cow catcher) is attached to the front of the engine. The man in dark clothes on the right is Joe Bell.
City Meat Market located in the middle of State Street between Washington and Lake Avenue in Detroit, Minnesota, (became Detroit Lakes, Minnesota, in 1926). This was between the Northern Pacific Depot and the Greystone Hotel on Pioneer Street.
Black and white reproduction photograph (June 24, 1954). Students and teacher of St. John School standing in front of school house. Can see three windows of church in background. In white writing on the bottom corner of the print reads "Scholars" and "St.Johns School Belle Plaine, Minn."