Expansion of Monastery (1880-1909). This aerial view of St. Benedict's Convent/Academy campus (1909) shows the extent of the 40-year growth of the Benedictine community and its academy from the 1863 church/convent/school complex to this impressive campus. About five years after this photograph was taken, the addition of the spacious, copper-domed chapel and the Teresa Hall addition to the academy/college, gave St. Benedict's Convent the appearance of a full-fledged monastery with the college under its wing (Saint Benedict's Monastery Archives).
St. Benedict's Academy (1883-1909). The fact that a room was already set aside for art in the late 1890s attests to the sisters' desire to cultivate the love of beauty. The academy catalogues show the variety of courses that were available including oil painting. St. Benedict's Academy (later College) has produced notable artists, for example, Sister Thomas Carey, among its faculty and students throughout its history (Saint Benedict's Monastery Archives).
The Avoca baseball team in the early 1900's. Pictured in the back row, Otto Rakness, Jim Crowely, Jim Fitzpatrick, John Farrell, Joe Crowley and Adolph Peterson. Front row, George Rakness, Louis Westby, Axel Frisk, Dave Johnston and Ted Mahoney.
Proctor, near Duluth, was the home base of the Duluth Missabi and Iron Range Railway and its predecessor roads the D&IR and the DM&N. Proctor was created in 1892 when the railroad was extending into Duluth and needed large flat areas. It was the largest such yard in the world. In 1894, the village was incorporated as Proctorknott after J. Proctor Knott, a U.S. Congressman from Kentucky who delivered a satirical speech ridiculing Duluth. The name was later shortened to Proctor. Thousands of cars were handled daily.
University of Minnesota Duluth, Kathryn A. Martin Library, Northeast Minnesota Historical Collections