The Chicago Shipbuilding Company of Chicago, a subsidiary of the American Shipbuilding Company, built the steamer William E. Cory for the Pittsburgh Steamship Company in 1904. The vessel dimensions are 569' X 56' X 31'. She sailed from Chicago on her maiden voyage August 12, 1905 bound for Duluth to load iron ore. The aerial bridge was new. Bids were opened March 25, 1901, but only one was received. The Duluth Canal Bridge Company was awarded the contract but abandoned the work. In February 1904, the Modern Steel Structural Company of Waukesha, Wisconsin was issued a contract. Work began July 20, 1904. On February 23, 1905, with local dignitaries at hand, the bridge was first operated. Regular service began the next day according to newspaper accounts. The city engineer's report for 1905 stated that the bridge was "completed and commenced operation on May 5, 1905, and a few problems were corrected in running the bridge over the next few days." The Aerial bridge was completed in February 1905. The aerial bridge transporter or gondola or transfer car roadway was 17 feet by 50 feet with sidewalks seven feet by 50 feet, the cabins were 30 feet long. The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers office building with flag above it was built in 1906. Also visible in the image are the National Biscuit Company 517 Lake Avenue South, Blanchet Hotel 520 Lake Avenue South, and Wieland Flats 502-512 St. Croix Avenue
University of Minnesota Duluth, Kathryn A. Martin Library, Northeast Minnesota Historical Collections
The railroad tracks on the right side of this wide postcard go into Nicollet, Minnesota. Both residential and commercial buildings can be seen. From left to right, the creamery, the old water tower, the roof of the public school, two church spires, and a grain elevator are among the visible structures. A large smokestack of an unidentified business can be seen between the church spires and the elevator.