Luther Theological Seminary Professor Emeritus Gustav Marius Bruce, holding the Bible, and Luther Theological Seminary President Thaddaeus Franke Gullixson, with hands on the shovel, are praying at the 1946 groundbreaking ceremony for the new library and classroom building. This building was later named for T.F. Gullixson. Gullixson's background was in the Norwegian Synod and Bruce's was in Hauge's Synod of the Lutheran church. Professor Emeritus Bruce was also a former Second Vice President of the Evangelical Lutheran Church. Note attached to photograph reads: Dr. T. F. Gullixson and Dr. G. M. Bruce (holding the Bible) at ground breaking ceremonies for the new library-classroom building at Luther seminary. Dr. Bruce is a former professor at Luther seminary and former second vice president of the Evangelical Lutheran Church.
Program for the Minnesota Library Association annual conference held at Hotel Lowry, St. Paul, Minnesota, on October 3rd-5th, 1946. The conference theme was "The Time is NOW." The welcome was given by Jean Gardiner Smith, Commissioner of Education of St. Paul Fred M. Truax, and Librarian Perrie Jones (St. Paul Public Library). General session presenters included Irving Lieberman on the topic of the other 75% (Head of Extension Division, Michigan State University), C. Irene Hayner on what was said at ALA about subscription books and a recruiting program for Minnesota (Assistant Professor, Division of Library Instruction, University of Minnesota), and Raymond A. Shove on the proposed smaller rag edition of the New York Times (Head of Order Department, University of Minnesota Library). The banquet featured a talk by John Towner Frederick and music by Minneapolis Lions Club Quartet. There was an open house hosted by the Hill Reference Library, and St. Paul Public Library.
Notes, with handwritten corrections, on the 1946 Minnesota Library Association (MLA) Annual Conference held October 3-5, 1946 at the Hotel Lowry in St. Paul, Minnesota with president Emily L. Mayne presiding. The theme for the conference was "The Time is Now--M. L. A. Clears for Action." Notes include detailed descriptions of the general sessions, section committee meetings and committee reports. A list of officers is attached.
In the years following World War II, great numbers of men enrolled in Luther Theological Seminary seeking to become pastors in the Lutheran Church. This panoramic photograph includes both students and faculty with most of the seminary faculty seated in the center of the front row. The group was posed in front of the new library and classroom building that was in the midst of construction. This building was later named Gullixson Hall in honor of T.F. (Thaddaeus Franke) Gullixson, president of Luther Theological Seminary, 1930-1954.
Kirt Blewett is standing just inside the rear bulkhead doors of a streetcar next to the farebox, the traditional post of the conductor. His right hand is pulling the signal cord to advise the motorman to start the car.