Campus of the St. Thomas Aquinas Seminary, later called the College of St. Thomas. Lake Mennith is in the foreground; the Gleason House is on the left with the St. Thomas Aquinas Seminary building on the right. Title supplied by cataloger.
The student body and faculty of Sacred Heart Academy in 1893. When the Benedictine Sisters came to Duluth to establish and independent foundation in 1892, they moved into two rented townhouses in the newly-completed Munger Terrace. They immediately established a school for girls, Sacred Heart Academy, which occupied one of the townhouses. The school enrolled students from elementary through secondary grades. The 1893 students are shown here. In the third row from bottom is Mother Scholastica Kerst, in the fourth row Sister Pauline Dunphy and Sister Florentine Cannon, and in the fifth row Sister Leonissa Sauber.
St. Thomas Literary and Debating Society in front of the old Administration Building. Seated in the front are the officers of the society: William O'Malley, Vice President; Reverend Terence Moore, President; Reverend William Lunner; James Doyle, Secretary.
Expansion of Monastery (1880-1909). This aerial view of St. Benedict's Convent/Academy campus (1909) shows the extent of the 40-year growth of the Benedictine community and its academy from the 1863 church/convent/school complex to this impressive campus. About five years after this photograph was taken, the addition of the spacious, copper-domed chapel and the Teresa Hall addition to the academy/college, gave St. Benedict's Convent the appearance of a full-fledged monastery with the college under its wing (Saint Benedict's Monastery Archives).
The College of St. Thomas football team of 1901 in front of the old Classroom Building. In front: unknown mascot. First Row: T. Merritt Coughlan, James Griffin, Edward Scallon, Edward Costello, Michael Powers. Second Row: James Curran, James O'Hara, John Gleason, James O'Reilly, Thomas Kane. Third Row: Charles White, Laureat Martineau, Harry Conway, Maurice Ryan, Edward Casey. Back Row: Joseph Ryan, James Meehan, Martin Cullen, Paul O'Gorman.
The faculty and students of the College of St. Thomas in front of the old Administration Building. Fr. John Dolphin, president of the College of St. Thomas, is seated in the middle of the front row. Title supplied by cataloger.
A view of the campus grounds of the College of St. Thomas. The buildings appearing in the background are, from left to right, the old Science Building, the old Administration Building, and the first Chapel of St. Thomas Aquinas. Title supplied by cataloger.
Members of the choir for the Chapel of St. Thomas Aquinas at the College of St. Thomas. Front row (left to right): Paul O'Gorman, Professor Leo Bruenner (director), Thomas A. Welch and Mathiaas O'Laughlin. Second Row (left to right) unknown, James Griffin, Homer Hogan, James Bynes, Thomas Kerwick, James Curran, Edward Casey. Third Row (left to right): William Grace, Michael Powers, Maurice Ryan, and Martin Cullen. Back row (left to right): George Sullivan, Benjamin Kelly, James O'Hara, Michael Healy, Lawrence Ryan, James Nolan, Peter Tibesar, John Wagner.
The College of St. Thomas baseball team for 1902. Front row (left to right): James Doyle, John Peschges, Joe Tomek, Mike Sheeran, Maurice Ryan, Emmit Halpenny, T. Kerins, Bernard Hoppenyan. Back row (left to right): Harry Conway (coach), William Fleming, Martin Cullen (manager), Steve Dowd, Charles McDermott, Mike Healy (assistant manager), Martin Griffin.
Members of the Philomathic Literary and Debating Society at the College of St. Thomas. Front Row: John Keenan, Peter Gadient, "Duke" Ryan, William McCarron, John Neary, unknown, unknown. Second Row: James Byrnes, James Neary, James Nolan, Pat Lydon, William McHale, Edward Casey, Martin Cullen, Thomas Welch, Michael Healy. Third Row: Joseph Makowski, Homer Hogan, Frank Matz, James Jiracek, Mathias O'Laughlin, Frank Kelly, Mike McQuaid(?). Fourth Row: Charles Shields, unknown, Paul Abel, Peter Tibesar, Stanley Dobrenski, James O'Phelan, William Grace, Patrick Franklin. Back Row: James O'Reilley, Tom Canty, Ed Sprenger, Mike McRath, Philip Brady, William Coleman, William Luby, William Haas, Joseph Cleary, Maurice Ryan, Reverend Terence Moore.
College of St. Thomas baseball team for 1904. The old Administration Building and the first Chapel of St. Thomas Aquinas are in the background. Front Row: Thomas Lee, James McGuire, William Hennigan. Second Row: Joe Tomek, E. Halfpenny, Reverend James Doyle, Maurice Ryan, Bernard Leutge. Back Row: William Harrington, T. Kerins, Philip Gordon, William Coleman, Edward Casey, Daniel Booth, Ed Meyers, L. Rose. Title supplied by cataloger.
1904 photo of the dam on Chester Creek forming a stock pond on the Benedictine Sisters' farm. In 1900, the Duluth Benedictine sisters purchased the first 80 acres of what would be their Kenwood campus. This parcel had been used as a farm for a number of years. Chester Creek, which runs through the property had been dammed to produce a stock pond. This photograph faces north, with what is now Niagara Street in the background.
Earliest photograph of Derham Hall first building erected on the campus of the College of St. Catherine by the Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet. Cornerstone laid 1903; building completed 1904. Named in honor of Hugh Derham of Rosemount Minnesota a generous benefactor. View of the west (front) and north wing of the building from the northwest. The small building in the in the rear was called the Power House at that time.
Members of the 1905 football team for the College of St. Thomas. Front row (left to right) : Fred Sanborn, unknown mascot, Louis Pepin. Second Row (left to right): John Quinlan, John Duggan, Ignatius O'Shaughnessy (captain), Leo O'Rourke, unknown. Third row (left to right): Fr. James Doyle, Joseph Hannan, Howard Pennington, Leo Nemzek, William Harrington, William Donahoe (manager). Back row (l-r); Edward Conmy, Henry Schurch.
Internal view of one of three original parlors in Derham Hall; this room was located on the first floor to the left of the front entrance of the building. The door leads to what was once a small office containing the only telephone in the building.
The College of St. Thomas football team for 1906. Front row: Two mascots, unknown. Second row (left to right): Unknown, Robert Wirth, Serenus Skahen, Fred Sandborn, Robert Mulloy, Joseph O'Neill (assistant manger), Louis Pepin, Louis Laughlin, unknown, unknown, unknown, Herbert Huebel. Third row (left to right): Frank Kelly, Clete Mulick, John Foley, Joseph Hannan, Leo O'Rourke (captain), unknown, unknown, Earnest Carr, unknown, John Kent. Back row (left to right): unknown, unknown, Charles McKusker, Thomas Canty (manager), unknown, unknown, John Donahoe, Ed Rogers (coach).
The first Crack Drill Squad at the College of St. Thomas. The officers in the front row are from left to right: Cadet 1st Lt. E. J. Carr, Cadet Major Louis Pepin, and Cadet 1st Lt. August Rhode. The original Chapel of St. Thomas Aquinas is seen in the background.
A 1906 photo of Sacred Heart Institute. In 1904, the Duluth Benedictine sisters moved into their first motherhouse, Sacred Heart Institute, constructed on a two-lot site at Third Avenue East and Third Street. This building housed both the sisters and the girls' academy of the same name. In 1909, the Academy and many of the sisters moved to the new Kenwood site, and the building eventually became the residence for St. Mary's Hospital School of Nursing.
Four students are shown sitting on the front steps of Derham Hall with an unidentified Sister of St. Joseph of Carondelet. Another student and Sister are visible on a sidewalk on the north lawn of campus.