The Commissary Officer of the First Regiment of the Minnesota Mounted Rangers, First Lieutenant Edward D. Cobb, wrote this note to Captain Eugene St. Julien Cox, Captain of Company E of the Rangers, from Fort Snelling on March 21, 1863, in response to a request for supplies from Cox. Captain Cox had requested a number of items, including horses, tents, jackets, socks, boots, haversacks, canteens, axes, kettles, spades, mess pans, hatchets, and picks. Cobb informed Cox that some of the items were available, but that some items could not be supplied at once. He also said that Cox was to take the lame horses from his company to Fort Ridgely, where they would be inspected and certified as lame. Cox could then submit a requistion for additional horses.
This document, dated May 11th, was sent to Eugene St. Julien Cox of St. Peter, who was the Captain of Company E of the First Mounted Rangers. The document addressed Cox as a major, but various records indicate that his highest rank was that of captain. Cox was ordered to include Sibley County in the sub-district for which he was responsible. He was also informed that a new squad had been organized in New Ulm, and that ""trappers report Indians plenty west of here."" The letter was sent from Mankato by Second Lieutenant and Adjutant George A. Clarke. The document appears to have an 1865 date, but Cox served from December 10, 1862, until November 11, 1863, and Clarke served from December 20, 1861, until December 20, 1864. It therefore appears that the document was sent in 1863.
Letter dated February 5, 1887 from Brig. General, Chief of Army Engineers James C. Duane to Senator Dwight M. Sabin indicating that the War Department has no authority over shortening the pontoon draws, as the bridge was built under the authority of the Minnesota Legislature.
Mann, William A.; Barry, T. H.; Wood, Fred B.; Rhinow, W. F.
Correspondence sent between the War Department Militia Bureau and the Adjutant General of Minnesota requesting the names of officers assigned to various departments within the office of the Adjutant General.
Letter dated January 20, 1911 from E. J. Miller, Minnesota Highway Department to Stillwater City Engineer J. Abercrombie regarding the life expectancy, suggested method of repars and posted speed and wieght limits of the existing Stillwater pontoon bridge
Letter dated April 3, 1924 from Stillwater Mayor R. J. Coffeen to C. M. Babcock, Commissioner of Highways regarding ownership of the bridge, Chapter 323 of laws of 1921 and the role of the state highway commission.
Letter dated July 10, 1924 from Stillwater Mayor R. J. Coffeen to C. M. Babcock, Commissioner of Highways regarding maintenance, repair and ownership of proposed bridge, including Chap. 530 Laws 1919. Article 16 Constitution of Minnesota regarding Route No. 45.