Portraits of ten Minnesota State Officers, incorporated into a six-pointed star: Governor Ramsey; Lt. Gov Donnelly; Secretary Baker; Treasurer Scheffer; Dept of Instruction Neill; Auditor Kraft; Atty General Cole; Statistician Wheelock; Adjt General Acker; and State Printer Van Vorhes.
Orgins of St. Benedict's Monastery (convent), St. Joseph, Minnesota. Mother Willibalda Scherbauer, OSB, led four sisters and two candidates, ranging in age from 18 to 26, from St. Marys, Pennslyvania, to the Midwest frontier (St. Cloud, Minnesota) in 1857. Mother Willibalda (Franciska) was born in Kastel, Bavaria in 1831. At an early age, her family took her to St. Walburg Convent in EichstÃ¤tt to be educated. There she professed her vows in 1851; four years later, she volunteered to join the sisters in America. Then in 1857, she volunteered to venture to the Northwest Territory and was appointed prioress of the St. Cloud community by Boniface Wimmer, OSB. Mother Willibalda was an accomplished musician of whom Jane Swisshelm, editor of a local newspaper, wrote, "The Lady Abbess is small, slight, delicate, graceful, and as accomplished a lady as you could meet in any circle...waking the first echoes of those broad prairies in a call (daily ringing of the church bell) to bow regularly at an altar of Christian worship..." (McDonald, page41). Mother Willibalda's able administration as leader gave the Benedictine sisters a firm monastic foundation, not only in St. Cloud, but also in St. Joseph, the nucleus of St. Benedict's Monastery. She is lovingly remembered for accepting Mother Benedicta Riepp into the St. Cloud community when she was misunderstood by authorities and some community members for upholding the rights of the sisters in America (Saint Benedict's Monastery Archives; McDonald, pages 12, 15-16, 19).
Collage of studio portraits from Minnesota Company A, Seventh Regiment, Volunteer Infantry, 1862, including 52 oval portraits of Civil War soldiers, some in uniform and some in later years. An eagle, flag, and banners appear at the top.
Roswell H. Kinney was the first superintendent of the Minnesota Institute for the Deaf, Dumb and Blind, and served during 1863-1866. He was present when the school opened on September 9, 1863. The school's name changed from "Minnesota Institute for the Education of the Deaf and Dumb" to "Minnesota Institute for the Deaf, Dumb and Blind" during his administration.
Minnesota State Academy for the Deaf Alumni Association Museum