Superintendent Samuel E. Shantz, steward George W. Dryer, druggist Daniel J. Shaw, and two other individuals, all of whom were associated with the St. Peter State Hospital in St. Peter, Minnesota, appear in this photograph.
This early photograph of the St. Peter State Hospital was taken at a time when the hospital complex appeared to be housed in a single large building. A fire in November of 1880 destroyed the north wing of the complex, shown here to the right of the large stairway at the main entrance.
This photograph shows the sickroom in the Lower Flat South unit of the St. Peter State Hospital. An old wheelchair can be seen to the right of the fireplace. A note on the reverse of the photo states that the photo was taken prior to 1900.
This photograph shows Dr. Fred Paul Strathern (1869-1962) in his first office in St. Peter in the Bennett building (300 South Minnesota Avenue). Dr. Strathern's office was located in the rear of the building, along Nassau street.
This photograph shows Dr. Fred Paul Strathern (1869-1962) in his first office in St. Peter in the Bennett building (300 South Minnesota Avenue). Dr. Strathern's office was in the rear of the building, along Nassau street.
This photograph of buildings at the St. Peter State Hospital has the date March 7, 1900 written on the reverse side of the photo. Another note there refers to a fire at two o'clock in the morning. The rear of the Center building can be seen at the far right of the photo.
This photograph shows several costumed employees of the St. Peter State Hospital. A variety of forms of entertainment were made available to the hospital patients, apparently including a performance by these employees.
This photograph shows a view of the grounds of the St. Peter State Hospital. The superintendent's house is to the left of the center of the photo. A view of the community of St. Peter is in the distance.
This photograph shows the greenhouse at the St. Peter State Hospital. Notes on both the front and back sides of the photo provide extensive information about the greenhouse, including a statement that it was built in 1885. The note also states that additions were made later.