Bison bones were unearthed from a boggy area near a creek at Hansen Park in New Brighton by three boys, Steven Sullivan, Joe McHale, and Joe Evangelist. A neighbor, who was a geologist, identified the bones as from a bison, which lived sometime after the last glacier melted in the area some ten thousand years ago.
Undue influences by the railroad and sanitation problems forced the operation to close in 1901. After the packing industry left the New Brighton area, the pens were used for many years for feeding and watering livestock before they were shipped to Chicago, Illinois, or Sioux City, Iowa. Sheep pens are shown in this photo.