Display of the T.H. Lewis Collection of artifacts. These were artifacts taken from Native American burial mounds in the Mississippi River basin, and put on display for a short time at Macalester College. Macalester founder and first President Edward D. Neill was one of the first excavators of the mounds at Burial Mounds Park in St. Paul, Minnesota, and described some of the objects in this collection.
Washington Elementary School contains a beautiful 900 seat auditorium as well as the Workman murals. It was built in 1908 but became the junior high school in 1959 when a new elementary school was built. Today it once more serves as the elementary school.
Brick Oneota school built in 1888 at 4420 West First Street; designed by architect Oliver Traphagen; the building also served as the Oneota Village Council Chambers before the village of Oneota became part of West Duluth; brick and brownstone with name over entrance; Romanesque windows with keystones; over the protests of families and the community club students were reassigned to the Merritt school when the Oneota was closed in 1946 then used for storage and razed in 1973 for construction of an industrial park; 16495
University of Minnesota Duluth, Kathryn A. Martin Library, Northeast Minnesota Historical Collections