This photograph shows the first high school in St. Peter, which was located on the northwest corner of the intersection of Fifth and Grace streets. The front of the school faced Fifth street. It was constructed in the early 1870s.
George Wing was a teacher at the Minnesota Institute for the Deaf, Dumb and Blind during 1872-1885. He developed Wing's Symbols, a system of symbols used for written language instruction at the school until 1976. The symbols followed the rules of grammar, and served to represent the functions of sentence parts. The portrait was part of a formal presentation to the school. The attached label reads: "George Wing, Inventor of 'Wing's Symbols', Teacher in this School, 1872-1885."
Minnesota State Academy for the Deaf Alumni Association Museum