Superintendent Samuel E. Shantz, steward George W. Dryer, druggist Daniel J. Shaw, and two other individuals, all of whom were associated with the St. Peter State Hospital in St. Peter, Minnesota, appear in this photograph.
Officers and trustees for the Minnesota Hospital for the Insane. William Schimmel is seated at left and Rev. Aaron H. Kerr is seated at right. Addison L. Sackett is the seventh man from the left in the back row. Schimmel and Sackett were prominent businessmen in St. Peter.
People are pictured walking through the landscaped gardens, flower beds and walkways of the Rochester State Hospital. The hospital, also known as the Second Hospital for the Insane, opened in 1879. Farm fields are visible in the background.
This early photograph of the St. Peter State Hospital was taken at a time when the hospital complex appeared to be housed in a single large building. A fire in November of 1880 destroyed the north wing of the complex, shown here to the right of the large stairway at the main entrance.
In the early 1880s, several attempts were made in St. Cloud to meet the growing need of provisions for medical care. Dr. A.C. Lamothe Ramsay, lately graduated from Rush Medical College in Chicago, began practice in St. Cloud in 1882. He and the sisters petitioned the city council for funds to help them erect a three-story hospital. When these funds for a hospital were not forthcoming, Dr. Ramsay, in 1885, opened one on his own in Joseph Pendel's newly constructed home. Because he soon found that he could not run his own hospital and at the same time take care of his regular practice, Dr. Ramsay persuaded the sisters to take over hospital work. The community, under the leadership of Mother Scholastica Kerst, was quick to take up the challenge. At first they decided to add a third floor and renovate St. Agnes Academy in St. Cloud (which had closed in 1880) to refit it for hospital use. However, in December, 1885, the sisters purchased a newly erected building on Ninth Avenue from John Kropp for $2,000 and by February announced the opening of the hospital under the name of St. Benedict's Hospital (Saint Benedict's Monastery Archives; McDonald, pages 251-254).
In 1887, two years after starting a hospital in Bismarck, North Dakota, St. John's Abbey gave the sisters the minor seminary which was part of the monks' St. Clement Priory building complex of church, rectory and school in Duluth. Encouraged by the success of their hospital in St. Cloud, the sisters converted the seminary to a hospital and named it St. Mary's Hospital (2nd building on the right ). The hospital was transferred to the jurisdiction of the Benedictine sisters in Duluth when they branched off from St. Benedict's Convent, St. Joseph, MN, to form an independent convent in Duluth in 1892 (Saint Benedict's Monastery Archives).
As early as 1878 while prospecting for a site to establish a college for men in the Dakota Territory, Abbot Alexius Edelbrock, OSB, became aware of the need for a hospital in the still undeveloped area of Mandan and Bismarck. In 1885 he bought the Lamborn Hotel in Bismarck and succeeded in interesting Mother Scholastica Kerst in converting it to a hospital. It was a challenge to change the settlers' prejudice against hospitals as institutions for the wayward and shiftless. However, after five years and with the expertise of Dr. E. pageQuaine in surgery and Sister Boniface Timmers, OSB, in administration, the hospital gained favor and grew from a primitive institution to one of the finest hospitals in the land. With the help of a donation from St. John's Abbey, the Benedictine sisters were able to repay the abbey for the debt incurred by the original purchase and they named the hospital St. Alexius. By 1913, they were able to build a new hospital and to organize a school of nursing there (Saint Benedict's Monastery Archives; McDonald, pages 126-137).
Several patients are recuperating in the 10-bed ward at Saint Marys Hospital. A large spittoon is located in the center of the room surrounded by beds and wooden dressers. A crucifix and religious paintings are hung on the wall. The two nurses are Sister Joseph Dempsey and Sister Constantine Poutal.
Street view of the B Building at The Swedish Hospital in Minneapolis. The photograph was taken from the present corner of Eighth Street and Tenth Avenue. Modern Elliot Park is still Elliot Farm. The barb wire fence at the edge of the farm's pasture is visible in the photograph.
The interns' dining room at The Swedish Hospital in Minneapolis. A serving girl is posed behind one of the chairs. There is a silver bell at the head of the table to allow the diners to ring for service during the meal. The profusion of candles on the sideboard indicates that the interns were not frequently allowed to use the gas chandelier hanging above the table.
The Cook Block was built by John Ramsey Cook in 1877. Because of the confusion with the Cook Hotel building, which he built in 1869, he renamed the Cook Block the Ramsey Block (for his mother). This building was located at 20 Second Street SW (formerly Zumbro Street). C. F. Massey Company later moved to this location. In 1883, Dr. William Worrall Mayo rented the first floor for his offices, consulting and operating room. The laboratories were on the second floor. Dr. W. W. Mayo and his two sons, Dr. William J. Mayo and Dr. Charles H. Mayo, operated their medical practice in this building until 1901. This building is the earliest location of what would later become the Mayo Clinic.
Carson Pharmacy in Detroit, Minnesota (became Detroit Lakes, Minnesota, in 1926). Dave Carson is standing outside his store which was located on the northeast corner of Washington Avenue and Front Street.
By 1889 the increased patient rate at St. Benedict's Hospital forced the sisters to look for larger quarters. John Coates and Daniel H. Freeman offered the sisters a five-acre site on the east side of the Mississippi River near the reformatory. The following year, because they were assured that a bridge, road, and even a streetcar line would connect that site with St. Cloud proper, the sisters built a three-story, up-to-date hospital there. Upon Bishop Otto Zardetti's request, it was named St. Raphael's Hospital. For ten years they labored against odds to make this venture a success in spite of the fact that the transportation facilities never materialized. When it became obvious that the site was unsatisfactory, the sisters planned to build another St. Raphael's Hospital (II), this time back on Ninth Avenue next to the site of their first hospital, St. Benedict's Hosptial (Saint Benedict's Monastery Archives, McDonald, pages 256-257).
The interior of Dr. Charles T. Granger's doctor's office is crowded with books, medical equipment and bottles of medicines. Dr. Granger's office was located over the Qvale Drug Store at 227 South Broadway.
The interior of Dr. Charles T. Granger's doctor's office is crowded with medical equipment. On the left is a large stove and hanging on the wall is a bird cage. Dr. Granger's office was located over the Qvale Drug Store at 227 South Broadway.
The interior of Dr. Charles T. Granger's doctor's office is crowded with books, medical equipment and bottles of medicines. A microscope under a glass dome is on the table by the window. Dr. Granger's office was located over the Qvale Drug Store at 227 South Broadway.
Image includes two, two horse drawn vehicles and man standing beside bicycle. Mr. Orr near bicycle; Mr. McFadden (hospital farmer); Bert Hoxie and Laura Titus in wagon. Mr. Titus and nursing staff in carriage.
This photograph shows the sickroom in the Lower Flat South unit of the St. Peter State Hospital. An old wheelchair can be seen to the right of the fireplace. A note on the reverse of the photo states that the photo was taken prior to 1900.
Note reads: "Taken in 1896. Residence and offices of Dr. John Wesley Andrews, 510 South Second St., Mankato, Minn. Office entrance: 125 E. Cherry St. Dr. Roy Andrews, son of J. W. and Cornelia Andrews daughter of Roy were born here (in this building)." Now Kahler Motel (1979).
Nineteen Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet standing in front of a St. Joseph's Hospital entrance. The Sisters opened the hospital in 1853 in the log cabin Chapel of St. Paul on Bench Street. This photo is taken at the hospital's third and current site. The hospital joined the HealthEast System in 1987.
The "new" St. Mary's Hospital in 1898. In 1894, the Benedictine sisters of Duluth had plans drawn up for a proposed motherhouse and school to be built on property they owned at 5th Avenue East and Third street. The foundations were laid, but money was short and the project had to be abandoned. In 1897 Bishop McGolrick suggested that a hospital be built on that site. The building was completed in 1898 and the hospital moved from its West End location to the new site of St. Mary's Hospital.
Mrs. Sandford and 5 year-old Lucy Gray, of DeSmet, South Dakota read a book in Lucy's room at Saint Marys Hospital. Paper chains, each link representing one of Lucy's new friendships formed while at the hospital, decorate the screen in the background.
This photograph shows Dr. Fred Paul Strathern (1869-1962) in his first office in St. Peter in the Bennett building (300 South Minnesota Avenue). Dr. Strathern's office was located in the rear of the building, along Nassau street.
This photograph shows Dr. Fred Paul Strathern (1869-1962) in his first office in St. Peter in the Bennett building (300 South Minnesota Avenue). Dr. Strathern's office was in the rear of the building, along Nassau street.
This photograph of buildings at the St. Peter State Hospital has the date March 7, 1900 written on the reverse side of the photo. Another note there refers to a fire at two o'clock in the morning. The rear of the Center building can be seen at the far right of the photo.
The medical and nursing staff of The Swedish Hospital in Minneapolis are posed in front of their horse drawn ambulance. The nurses on each end wearing striped blouses are nursing students. It was common during this era for nursing students to supply the bulk of nursing care in hospitals.
Formal front entrance to the nurses' dormitory at The Swedish Hospital, Minneapolis. In the early twentieth century, nursing students lived on the hospital grounds. The parlor seen in the photograph would have been reserved for leisure time and entertaining special guests.
Nurse Amanda Porter (left) is receiving instructions from The Swedish Hospital School of Nursing superintendent Ida C.L. Isaacson (right). The lush furnishings of the superintendent's office in addition to her non-nursing uniform wardrobe indicate the power of her position at the School.
Nurses Eleanor Fundberg (standing) and Signe Lindstrom (sitting), both members of The Swedish Hospital School of Nursing class of 1902, are delivering medicines to patients at The Swedish Hospital on floor 3A.
An operation at The Swedish Hospital in Minneapolis during the early twentieth century. The nurse at the head of the patient, The Swedish Hospital School of Nursing class of 1902 graduate Elsie Nelson, is administering anesthesia.
Combination formal dining room and front parlor located in one of the dormitories at The Swedish Hospital School of Nursing in Minneapolis. Several student nurses are gathered around the piano for entertainment prior to the beginning of the meal.
Failing in their hope to dispose of St. Raphael's Hospital (I) by a sale to the State that was then looking for a location for a women's reformatory, the sisters converted St. Raphael's Hospital (I) to a nursing home. St. Joseph's Home (rear view) served the elderly for 78 years (Saint Benedict's Monastery Archives, McDonald, pages 261-262).
The reception room in the B Building of The Swedish Hospital in Minneapolis. Friends and family of hospital patients would have waited here to meet with physicians and medical staff. The marble table, fresh flowers in the crystal vase and carved furnishings are elegant features of the room.
Fifteen women, all in nurses' uniforms, sit/stand around Sister Thecla Reid, who established the School of Nursing at St. Mary's Hospital. Three women were in the first graduating class in 1903. The school of nursing opened about 1900.
This photograph shows several costumed employees of the St. Peter State Hospital. A variety of forms of entertainment were made available to the hospital patients, apparently including a performance by these employees.