The view is to the south from the Moorhead side of the Red River looking toward the Northern Pacific Railway bridge; The steamboat Pluck is tied up on the Fargo, Dakota Territory side of the Red River; two barges heavily loaded with agricultural equipment and shingles are tied alongside, one is named Winnipeg; a flatboat partially loaded with lumber is along the Moorhead bank in the foreground. In the distance on the Fargo bank workmen load lumber from railroad cars onto flatboats. Beyond, a temporary wagon bridge spans the river beneath the Northern Pacific railroad bridge. Beyond the railroad bridge is the Moorhead Manufacturing Company Flour Mill, at extreme right is partially visible the Alsop Line's Warehouse.
This photograph shows the original wooden Winona and St. Peter Railroad bridge near the St. Peter State Hospital. The view appears to be toward the community of Kasota in Le Sueur County. This bridge was replaced by an iron bridge in 1879.
This view of the original Winona and St. Peter Railroad bridge over the Minnesota River that was completed in 1871 appears to look toward Kasota from a location near the St. Peter State Hospital. The bridge was replaced about 1879 by a metal one. Some of the stone supports for the new bridge can be seen to the right of the wooden bridge.
Stereoview of the first St. Paul, Minneapolis & Manitoba Railway train to arrive at Moorhead in late 1880. Locomotive number 34 pulling coal tender and three cars in snow. Men stand leaning out of cab, behind cab and alongside locomotive.
hot air balloon on ground with a crowd of men gathered around it; photographer Farr is listed in city directory starting in 1880/81 at 428 Nicollet address by 1885/86 is listed at 609 Washington Ave S; list of stereographic views by photographer/publisher on verso
Hennepin County Library, James K. Hosmer Special Collections Library
Image of people lined up on dock and outside deck of Ossifrage. Large dock owned by the Weiland Family, a prosperous family that owned and operated a lumber company out of Beaver Bay (1860-1883). Steam ships would tie up to the Weiland dock, bringing passengers and supplies to the town.
Mr. and Mrs. John Martinson and their daughter, Mary, in a sleigh going south on Minnesota Avenue in St. Peter. The Stark and Davis store is on the southwest corner of the intersection of Minnesota Avenue and Grace street. Joseph Mason's Hardware store is at right.