The Zumbro Flour Mill was owned by John M. Cole. This mechanical drawing provides a cross section of the mill and includes details on the water wheel, separator, cockle machine, bran duster, purifier, wheat bins, stock hopper, flour bins, grading wheels and receiving elevator and other machinery.
After several days of drenching rains along the Zumbro River basin, the river overflowed its banks in Rochester early on the morning of early on June 26, 1908. The river rose at a rapid rate (four feet in 20 minutes) and did extensive damage to the business and residential sections of the city. This photo was taken from the Third Street mill overlooking Mayo Park. The little round bandstand is visible in the trees in the center of the photo. The Center Street bridge is in the left rear.
The Zumbro River, located near Zumbrota, Minnesota. This image is by Arthur Adams, Minneapolis high school teacher, local historian, and photographer. Adams traveled throughout Minnesota, taking photographs to augment his lectures. His studio was located at 3648 Lyndale Avenue South in Minneapolis.
Construction of the Lake Zumbro Hydroelectric Power Plant dam began in this area of the Zumbro River in 1917. The structure was designed by noted hydroelectric engineer, Hugh Lincoln Cooper. The dam, completed in 1919, is owned by Rochester Public Utilities.