Signatures of attorneys registered to practice law in the State of Minnesota. Names were verified and biographical data obtained from Minnesota Biographies (MHS 1912), Legislators Past and Present (website), State Board of Law Examiners register (1891-1921), Minnesota birth and death certificates indexes, Minnesota court system websites, published alumni directories of the University of Minnesota law school and the St. Paul College of Law, Minnesota Legal History Project (website), the Minnesota Historical Society's online catalog (PALS), and a variety of miscellaneous sources.
This is a letter and contract to W.B. Sloan for ads in the "Falls Evening News" and the "Minnesota Republican" newspapers of W.A. Croffut and Edwin Clark. It is written on "Falls Evening News" letterhead.
This lithograph of the Rochester map drawn by P.P. Condit, Civil Engineer and Surveyor, shows the platted sections of the city with blocks, lots and streets and some business ads. The businesses listed are: John W, Remine, Attorney at Law; Stevens House, J. Fleck, Proprietor; F. A. Soule, Attorney at Law; Rochester Free Press, F. A. Soule, Editor; American House, C. C. Cole, Proprietor; Eleazer Damon, Watchmaker and Jeweler; G. C. Sherman, Boots and Shoes; Fay and Leonard, Attorneys and Insurance Agents; Reynolds and Woodword, Drugs and Medicines; I. M. Terrill, Ornamental Painter; La Dui and Leet, Merchant Tailors and C. C. Willson, Attorney and Counselor at Law.
Catholic catechism, liturgy, prayers, and hymns. Text in Ojibwa with some titles in French or Latin. 215 pages. University of St. Thomas, Archibishop Ireland Memorial Library call number: PM854 .B25 1859
University of St. Thomas - Archbishop Ireland Memorial Library
Neill, Edward Duffield, 1823-1893; Mattocks, Rev. John 1814-1875; Ramsey, Alexander, 1815-1903
Notice from the Baldwin School Executive Committee (John Mattocks, Alexander Ramsey, and Edward D. Neill), announcing resumption of operations on September 5, 1859 at the school's leased building on Walnut Street. The Principal, Assistant, and courses of instruction are mentioned, as are tuition, transportation to the building, and furnishing descriptions. The announcement includes the blue Baldwin School seal in Latin at the top. The Baldwin School was for female youth, however a limited number of boys were admitted if they had sisters in attendance.
This is an original plat of Olmsted County with many handwritten notes and drawings showing early Minnesota settlers, farmers and other town landscape features. This map is the earliest documentation we have found in our collection of the farms, towns, and topography of Olmsted County, Minnesota.
The Record documents the formation of the Stillwater Library Association on Jun 7, 1859. The Constitution, a membership list and detailed meeting minutes including the election of officers and book acquisitions are meticulously recorded. The Stillwater Library Association was formed as a city library association in 1859, and the Stillwater Public Library still operates as a city library today.
Publication detailing the establishment, evolution, and expansion of the state university system and all of its schools. The minutes detail the growth of the schools, campuses, hiring and the resignations of faculty, staff, and school presidents, finances of the systems and schools, curriculum, purchase and expansion of physical campus, including property and buildings, and the establishment of the St. Cloud Normal School, Mankato Normal School, Winona Normal School, Moorhead Normal School, and the Duluth Normal School.
James George wrote this letter from Mantorville to his daughter, Helen on December 11, 1859. He writes about the value of education and warns her against associating with Mr. Wescotts, Blaisdelle or Sid Miller.
400 Block, South Front Street, 1860, with horse-drawn buggies and buildings; notes on back of photo say,""1860--Front St.--Cherry to Jackson (West Side)" and ""More likely Jackson to Cherry." Photo is printed in reverse (text on signs is backwards).
Portraits of ten Minnesota State Officers, incorporated into a six-pointed star: Governor Ramsey; Lt. Gov Donnelly; Secretary Baker; Treasurer Scheffer; Dept of Instruction Neill; Auditor Kraft; Atty General Cole; Statistician Wheelock; Adjt General Acker; and State Printer Van Vorhes.
Exterior view of the Schilz house, built in Minnesota territorial days (1860) has since been remolded. Present location (as of 2003) is 205 East Main Street. Front has open porch with four support posts - embellishments on upper end of posts. Tall tree on left edge of frame.