Exterior view of the third Bank organized in Jackson. Organized in 1903, it began business January 4, 1904 and was closed during the Great Depression in January, 1933. The building was located the west side of Second Street between Sherman and Grant streets.
William Kenney was born in Park River, North Dakota in 1911. He went into business in Moorhead in 1938. He went into the Navy in 1942 until 1945. Mr. Kenney tells of his experience in business and of his ownership of a cage and hotel in Moorhead from 1945 to 1974.
Robert Howe discusses the history and operation of the Fairmont Foods Company in Moorhead completed in 1924 where he was an engineer. The company received the Navy E. Award in December 1943. During WWII, dried eggs were sent overseas to our servicemen. They hired 300 women to candle and break eggs. The Fairmont Foods Company building is now Fairmont East � a retirement home.
Paul Eidbo was born in Boden, North Dakota in 1927 and graduated from Concordia College (1946-1949). He gives the background of Eastgate Industries Inc., started in 1916, which he manages. A family corporation, he tells of the processes involved in the raising, extracting, and marketing of honey. Also, included is a background of his civic political activities.
Born 1911, Paul Euren has worked as a city salesman for Fairmon Foods Co. He also operated the Ben Franklin store and a lauderette-dry cleaning establishment in Moorhead. He was a city Alderman, a past exalted ruler at the Fargo Elks Club, and a past chairman on the Salvation Army Advisory Board. He also describes how his grandparents left Sweden and Germany to seek land in the U.S. in 1880.
Eric Martinson is 97 years old and was born in Moorhead. His Norwegian parents immigrated here between 1870 and 1871. Martinson discusses the coal and fuel oil business in the Fargo-Moorhead area from 1926 to his retirement in 1968.
Dorothy Kippels gave a background of her childhood days as well about the Kippels family. The Kippels family, Bruno Kippels, Joe's father, were early Moorhead settlers. Mrs. Kippels, describes the Waterman's Store which she and her husband owned from 1944 to 1967. She told the merchandise they sold and talked about credit, competition in Moorhead, and fringe benefits.
Carrol Malvey reflects on his childhood days, his parents, his days at Concordia and teaching before entering into partnership in Malvey Service Stations with his brother and Mom. He relates World War II problems. Mr. Malvey was very active in Moorhead Civic affairs such as Lions, Chamber of Commerce, Volunteer Fireman, Planning Commission, Concordia Board of Regents, and Trinity Lutheran Church.
Carl Haima was born December 1900 in Raymond, MN. Mr. Haima describes his life as a child. He discusses his father's general store and his small businesses in Moorhead. Mr. Haima served several terms on the city council, a charter member of the Lions Club, and vice-president of the Chamber of Commerce.
The interior of Hesnault's Pharmacy, which stood on Main Street in Walnut Grove. The man behind left counter is unidentified but the man behind right counter is J.F. Hesnault. John F. Hesnault & Eleck C. Nelson ran the business starting in August of 1903. In 1918 Eleck C. Nelson sold his shares to A.J. Keller who sold out to John F. Heslnault in March of 1927. John F. Helsnault ran the business himself until September of 1938. He sold out to H.C. Nelson & Justin Hagen September of 1938, the name of the store changing to Nelson and Hagen Pharmacy. Nelson & Hagen sold out to Carl A. "Pete" Peterson in June of 1980 changed the name of the store to Peterson Drug. Carl A. Peterson sold out to Donald Pederson in May of 1987 the name changing once more, this time to Pederson Drug.
Exterior view of the Heron Lake Brick and Tile Company, which was incorporated on May 15, 1907. The company advertised as "Manufacturers of Building, Partition and Drain Tile, hollow and common brick. Capacity about four rail cars per day."
Rolland Robert Freeman is shown in front of his Implement, Bicycle and Hardware store. The building was built by Freeman in 1892 and he sold it to a soloon operator in March of 1898. The sales promotion is 'buy a binder and recieve a bicycle for free.'
Group portrait of women workers at Jordan Sulphur Springs. They wear aprons, skirts, and whit blousses. Woman in the middle is the cook. Woman at left is Cathrine Beckius. They stand just outside of the facility.
Rail service reached Winton in 1902 when the Duluth and Iron Range Railroad extended service to Fall Lake and Winton. Sixty years later the station was still open two hours each day as the train still thundered through.
Lumberjacks stand in the snow outside the buildings that made up their camp. On the back of this card is a note from one man to a woman named Belle in DeSota, Kansas telling her that he might be coming to see her next week.
Advertising card for Mark's Original Extract of Cider, from the P. M. Mark Medicine Company of Fosston, Minnesota promises "big profits for you." On the back is a handwritten recipe for liniment with ingredients and quantities.