Proceedings of the Common Council for the period January 1877-January 1878. This book records the activities of the city council including meeting attendees, petitions, disbursements, ordinances considered, licenses issued, and reports from various officers (such as the City Attorney and the Comptroller).
An 1878 photograph of Sister Scholastica Kerst in the St. Benedict's convent habit. Catherine (Sister, later Mother Scholastica) Kerst (1847-1911) was born in Meuringen, Prussia, and came to St. Paul, MN, in 1852 with her parents. She entered the Benedictine community of St. Gertrude in Shakopee, MN, in 1862 and in 1877 transferred to St. Benedict's Convent in St. Joseph, MN. She was prioress there from 1880-1889. In 1892, she led the foundation of what is now St. Scholastica Monastery and was prioress there until her death in 1911.
This plat book was drawn from actual surveys and county records and includes Olmsted County, the individual townships, cities, towns, a patron's directory and a table of distances for the county. Township maps show the property owners, location of roads, railroad tracks, schools, rivers, farm houses, cemeteries and mills.
The Phoenix Hotel in Lanesboro was built at the cost of $50,000 in 1870. The hotel was four stories with saloon, baggage room, and railroad ticket office. The stone used for its construction was quarried from local bluffs. Its parlors and suites were expensively furnished. It was widely advertised as both a high class hotel for the traveling public, as well as a sanitarium. The hotel housed the Bank of Lanesboro, the businesses of Hanson & Davis, and Knudson & Hobart. Its landlords were Messrs. Chase and White. The building was destroyed by fire on May 5, 1885.
Third volume of Randolph M. Probstfield’s personal journals, which he wrote in a ledger book. Probstfield began writing this volume in 1878, after he had settled at his farm in Oakport Township on the Red River. Probstfield mixed his accounting records with information on daily events. These accounts discuss weather, agriculture, visitors, household expenses and many other details of family life.
Fifth volume of Randolph M. Probstfield's personal journals, which he wrote in a ledger book. Probstfield began writing this volume in 1873, after he had settled at his farm in Oakport Township on the Red River. Probstfield mixed his accounting records with information on daily events. These accounts discuss weather, agriculture, visitors, household expenses and many other details of family life. This diary spans January 1, 1878 to December 30, 1878.
Annual report of the State Fish Commissioners made to Governor John S. Pillsbury. Commissioners report species and location of fry (young fish) distributed within the state, and annual expenditures of the Commissioners. The report relates the selection of Willowbrook as the location of the first state fish hatchery, and a description of its design and construction. This includes an inventory of state property in the Commission's possession, most of which is located at Willowbrook.
part of series of stereographic cards """"Minnesota and Northwestern Views;"""" view from west back looking east over the Mississippi River; river filled with floating logs, various mills are seen in the forefront and background; Mill exploded May 2, 1878; address of mill 7th Ave S Canal St
Hennepin County Library, James K. Hosmer Special Collections Library
This 1878 pocket diary records the daily farming activities of Newton Persons as well as the farm's production and employment. It includes weather information as well as details on neighbors and family members. He also visited friends and relatives in Indiana and met his future wife, Phebe Grills. The diary records their wedding on September 19, 1878. Daily entries consist of a few short lines, and the book contains a cash account, calendars, and other information.
Publication detailing the purpose of the school, academic calendar, expenses associated with the school, admission requirements, classes offered, graduation requirements, and the model school. In addition, the catalog lists the faculty. The State Normal School, founded in 1869, changed names several times: St. Cloud State Teachers College (1921), St. Cloud State College (1957), and St. Cloud State University (1975).