Old Main, dated 1900, was built for Augsburg Seminary, the seminary of the Conference for the Norwegian-Danish Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, commonly called ""the Conference."" In 1897, after the ""Augsburg Controversy,"" Augsburg Seminary and its supporters formed a new church body called the Lutheran Free Church. Augsburg Seminary and the Lutheran Free Church maintained autonomous existence until 1963 when the church merged into the American Lutheran Church. At that time Augsburg Seminary was merged into Luther Theological Seminary. Ironically, Luther Theological Seminary was the successor to the school formed by the United Norwegian Lutheran Church in 1893 during the ""Augsburg Controversy."" The four-year college department that remained at this site became Augsburg College. This recent photograph was taken to show Main after a major restoration project returned the building to its original splendour. Back of photograph reads: Augsburg Seminary, Lutheran Free Church until 1963, then w/LTS.
This Northwestern Lutheran Theological Seminary building was a mansion located at Stevens Avenue and East 24th Street in Minneapolis and was named for the first president of Northwestern Lutheran Theological Seminary, Joseph Stump. Stump Hall functioned as a single student dormitory and had its own on-site boarding club, in which students shared responsibilities for meals. Back of photograph reads: Stump Hall, Stevens Ave. @ 24th Str., Mpls.
This is a photograph of a residence hall of Northwestern Lutheran Theological Seminary. The seminary continued to acquire property as it grew, but by the late 1950s it was clear that another expansion would be necessary. The seminary's ""parent church,"" the United Lutheran Church in America, continued to increase in membership. Eventually Northwestern Lutheran Theological Seminary's expansion came on the campus of Luther Seminary in the St. Anthony Park neighborhood in St. Paul. In 1955, Luther Seminary purchased the site of the Breck School, an Episcopalian preparatory school, that stood near Luther Seminary. The invitation for Northwestern Lutheran Theological Seminary to move to this site came several years later, with the actual move happening in 1967. Back of photograph reads: NLTS residence #2404.
Northwestern Lutheran Theological Seminary's Reed Hall was named for Harry Bertram Reed, first professor of Old Testament at Northwestern Lutheran Theological Seminary. Reed Hall served as an apartment building for married students. The seminary remained well supported by the Northwest Synod of the United Lutheran Church in America during the 1950s, the years of its greatest growth. This was also the period of greatest membership increase for the United Lutheran Church in America, the ""parent church"" of Northwestern Lutheran Theological Seminary. Back of photograph reads: NLTS, Reed Hall, Residence.
Jensen Hall, which included the Northwestern Lutheran Theological Seminary library, was named for J.K. Jensen, long-time treasurer of the seminary and of the Synod of the Northwest. This mansion, the Alfred Pillsbury family home, was acquired in a second round of property purchases in the South Minneapolis area near the Minneapolis Institute of Arts. Northwestern Lutheran Theological Seminary now had several buildings in the same area, thus creating a more integrated, cohesive campus. Back of photograph reads: Jensen Hall Library
This Northwestern Lutheran Theological Seminary building was named for Dr. G. H. (George Henry) Gerberding, first president of the Northwest Synod of the United Lutheran Church in America and one of the four original Northwestern Lutheran Theological Seminary professors to leave Maywood Seminary, Chicago, in 1920. Gerberding Hall had been one of the Crosby family homes. The Crosby family was involved in the Minneapolis milling industry. Back of photograph reads: Gerberding Hall, late 50's, NLTS residence, [photo] #14.
Northwestern Lutheran Theological Seminary was justly proud of its music and arts program including its choral activities. The choir recorded albums and toured regularly. Pictured conducting is Robert Paul Wetzler, director of the choir and noted sacred music composer and publisher. Later, Kathryn Ulvilden Moen, a professionally trained organist and choir director, would take on this dual role with great success. Back of photograph reads: Northwestern Lutheran Theological Seminary Choir, Minneapolis, Robert Paul Wetzler, director, Ray Hanson, manager.
The daily chapel service at Northwestern Lutheran Theological Seminary was held in the former dining room and solarium of Passavant Hall, the past residence of the Charles Pillsbury family. In keeping with the rest of the Tudor style home, the refurbished chapel retained the original paneling, stained glass, and plank flooring. Seminary students of the period (1940-1967) remember fondly the beauty and uniqueness of these spaces. Back of photograph reads: NLTS chapel at S. Mpls site ca. 1960.
By the late 1930s, Northwestern Lutheran Theological Seminary had grown, despite the hardships of the Great Depression, and required larger facilities than the Northeast Minneapolis location offered. Fortunately, a group of historic mansions in South Minneapolis, near the Minneapolis Institute of Arts, became available. In 1940, Northwestern Lutheran Theological Seminary relocated to these homes. Passavant Hall, named for the great Lutheran churchman, W.A. (William Alfred) Passavant, had been the home of the Charles Pillsbury family whose fortune had been made in the milling industry. Back of photograph reads: NLTS, Former Pillsbury Mansion, Passavant Hall, #10, Photo 2 of 8.
Wedding ceremony at Trinity Lutheran Church. Photograph is from the back of the church showing the wedding group at the altar with painted altar piece and pipe organ. Back labeled, "Wedding of Merton & Irene Strommen; Attendants: Vollie Huglen? and Cordelia Agrimson, sisters of Irene. Luther Strommen, best man. Officiating: Reverend Peter Strommen, left; Reverend Melvin J. Olson. Soloist: Evelyn (Mrs. Paul G.) Sonnack. Pianist and Organist: Sig Skurdarvold.
Augsburg Seminary was founded in Marshall, Wisconsin, in 1869 by the Scandinavian Augustana Synod to serve the Norwegian churches in that body. The Norwegians split from that body in 1870 and formed two church bodies: the Norwegian Augustana Synod and the Conference for the Norwegian-Danish Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, commonly called ""the Conference."" The Conference gained control of Augsburg Seminary and moved it to Minneapolis in 1872 to a site near the University of Minnesota. The original structure was destroyed by fire and the structure shown here was erected around 1900. This photo appears in the booklet: ""Many members one body"" published for the Lutheran Intersynodical Seminary Conference, Augsburg Seminary, Minneapolis, Minnesota, November 27-29, 1931.
Northwestern Lutheran Theological Seminary prided itself on the close relationship fostered between faculty and students. Its relatively small size assisted in building this institutional culture. This photograph depicts ""Skip Day,"" a time for fun and recreation that included the entire seminary community. Dr. Joseph Stump and Ellis Jensen are playing a game of chess while others look on. In 1930, Northwestern (as it was more commonly known) was housed in one large building at 1018 19th Avenue North East, Minneapolis. Back of photograph reads: Dr. Stump and Ellis Jensen play chess, Skip Day 1930.
Northwestern Lutheran Theological Seminary prided itself on the close relationship fostered between faculty and students. Its relatively small size assisted in building this institutional culture. This group photograph includes faculty, students, staff, and family members at ""Skip Day"", 1930. In the center row, two professors surround the young boy: Professor J. H. (Jonas H.) Dressler is to the left; Northwestern Lutheran Theological Seminary President and Professor P. H. (Paul Hoerlein) Roth is to the right. Back of photograph reads: ""Skip Day"" ca. 1930.
This photograph depicts two men shoveling snow at the main building of Northwestern Lutheran Theological Seminary, 1018 19th Avenue North East, Minneapolis. This was the seminary's location from 1922-1940. Back of photograph reads: Northwestern Lutheran Theological Seminary, 1018-19th Ave. NE 1929.
From 1922-1940 Northwestern Lutheran Theological Seminary was located in Northeast Minneapolis in this building at 1018 19th Avenue North East. Following a split with Maywood Seminary in Chicago in 1920, Northwestern Lutheran Theological Seminary, with strong support from the Northwest Synod of the United Lutheran Church in America, moved with its student body of 34 and its faculty of four, first to Fargo, North Dakota, and by 1922 to Minneapolis. Front of photograph reads: Northwestern Lutheran Theological Seminary, 1018 19th Ave. N.E., Minneapolis, Minn. Back of photograph reads: Rev. P.H. Roth, 18 & Dupont Ave. NE, Minneapolis, Minn.
This photograph shows a picture of the Augsburg Seminary student body standing in front of Old Main in February 1918. The panoramic photograph allows you to see some of the homes in the surrounding neighborhood. In the 1870s, the Conference for the Norwegian-Danish Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, commonly called ""the Conference,"" called two young men to serve as professors at its school, Augsburg Seminary. Sven Oftedal began in 1873, and Georg Sverdrup in 1874.These two men defined the institution and its supporting congregations for the next several decades. Their vision of Augsburg Seminary was for a cohesive nine year program: a two year academy, a four year college, and a three year seminary. In 1890, the Conference merged with the Norwegian Augustana Synod and a breakaway group from the Norwegian Synod known as the ""Anti-Missourian Brotherhood"" to form the United Norwegian Lutheran Church. Augsburg was to be the seminary of the new church body, but a controversy soon developed over the role of Augsburg's college department vis-a-vis St. Olaf College which has been loosely associated with the Anti-Missourian Brotherhood. Known as the ""Augsburg Controversy,"" contentious court battles went to the Minnesota Supreme Court. Eventually, Augsburg Seminary and its supporters formed a new church body in 1897 called the Lutheran Free Church. Front of photograph reads: Augsburg Seminary, Feb. 1918, Craft Studio. Back of photograph reads: Old Main Building.
Andreas Helland (1870-1951) was a professor at Augsburg Seminary from 1905 to 1940. He was the author of an early definitive history of Augsburg Seminary titled ""Augsburg seminar: gjennem femti aar 1869-1919."" He also edited George Sverdrup's collected works and in 1947 wrote a biography of Sverdrup titled ""Georg Sverdrup: The Man and His Message."" Helland was very mission-minded and served the Lutheran Board of Missions as secretary (1907-1919), treasurer (1925-1929), and secretary-treasurer (1933-1946). Front of photograph reads: Prof. Andreas Helland, L.B.M. Mission Secretary.
Pictured here is the United Church Seminary's first building at the corner of Franklin Avenue and 26th Avenuein Minneapolis. The United Norwegian Lutheran Church was formed in 1890 by a merger of the Anti-Missourian Brotherhood, the Norwegian Augustana Synod, and the Conference for the Norwegian-Danish Lutheran Church in America, commonly known as ""the Conference."" The Conference brought its Augsburg Seminary to the merger and it was to become the seminary of the new church body. The formerly independent St. Olaf College in Northfield, Minn, was made a college of the new church. But Augsburg was a nine-year school (two years preparatory, four years college, and three years seminary) and a controversy soon developed over the future of Augsburg's four-year college vis-a-vis St. Olaf. Augsburg was incorporated with an independent board of trustees which when presented with an ultimatum refused to turn control of the seminary over to the United Church while the college question was unsettled. The United Church formed a new seminary in 1893. After a bitter court battle, the supporters of Augsburg formed a new denomination in 1897, the Lutheran Free Church, with Augsburg as its college and seminary. Front of photograph reads: U.C. Seminary 1893-1901. Back of photograph reads: M.E. Waldeland, donor, son Olaf Waldeland.
Controversy over the doctrine of election (or predestination) rocked the Norwegian Synod in the 1880s. A group called the "Anti-Missourian Brotherhood" split off from the Synod and formed its own seminary in Northfield, Minn. The Norwegian Synod then moved its seminary, Luther Seminary, to Robbinsdale, Minn., in 1888. The seminary was housed in the building depicted here which was destroyed by fire in 1895. After the fire, Luther Seminary temporarily met nearby at the Hotel Georgia.
This composite photograph shows the faculty and student body of Augsburg Seminary during one of the years in the 1880s. Note the fluted ""ruff"" collar that was typical for clergymen to wear in the Dano-Norwegian Lutheran church tradition.
This document is an Augsburg Seminary diploma that was presented in the 1880s. The diploma includes an engraving of the seminary's original Main Building which was destroyed by fire sometime before 1900. Diploma reads: Augsburg Seminary; Minneapolis, Minn. ... 188 ; Eksamens-Testimonium fra Augsburg Seminariums theologiske Fakultet; Hr. Kand. theol. ... har underkastet sig Eksamen ved Augsburg Seminarium og kan vi efter denne Pröve give ham vor Anbefaling som ... til det kirkelige Loere- og Praedike-Embede. Translation of diploma: Augsburg Seminary; Minneapolis, Minn. ... 188 ; The Certificate of the Exam from Augsburg Seminary's theological faculty; Mr. Candidate of Theology ... has undergone the exam at Augsburg Seminary and after this test we can give him a recommendation as [qualified, highly qualified, exceptional] to the churchly office of teaching and preaching.
Stereogram of church group outside Our Saviour's Lutheran Church. Back of stereogram has an official label which states, "The Norwegian Lutheran Synode Held at Minneapolis, Minn. 1875. The Representatives."