- Minnesota Library Association; Conner, Elizabeth
- Date Created:
- Report of the 19th annual conference of the Minnesota Library Association (MLA), written by Secretary-Treasurer Elizabeth Conner. The conference took place at the St. Alban's Beach hotel in Minnetonka, Minnesota September 20, 21, and 22, 1911. Welcome given by Gratia Countryman, librarian, Minneapolis Public Library with addresses by Geo. B. Utley, secretary of the American Library association entitled Reaching the People, Geo. E. Vincent, President of the University of Minnesota on The Social Memory, C.G. Schulz, Supt. Public Instruction, on The Library and Education, Lettie E. Stearns on The Library and Country Life, and Clara Kellogg of Neighborhood House, St. Paul, on The Library and the Little Citizen. Sessions included a roundtable discussion on Book Selection, and talks on buying children's books, foreign books, correlation with school libraries, book ordering, the use of pictures in the library, the trustees round table, and a story hour symposium. Resolution was made to affiliate with the American Library Association. Election of officers with President Margaret Palmer, Hibbing; Vice-president Frances Earhart, Duluth; Secretary-treasurer, Mabel Martin, Minneapolis; Executive committee, Miriam Carey, St. Paul and Alice Lamb, Litchfield. Agreed that a token of friendly expression be sent to Mrs. Mc Pherson of Stillwater by the members of the association.
- Contributing Institution:
- Minnesota Historical Society
- Minutes (administrative records)