Graduating students stand outside (old) Holy Angels Academy on Fourth Street North, Minneapolis. The grade and high school opened in 1877. In 1907 the high school was transferred to St. Margaret's Academy (first location). The grade school closed in 1928. Both Holy Angels and St. Margaret's were owned and operated by the Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet
Fifteen women, all in nurses' uniforms, sit/stand around Sister Thecla Reid, who established the School of Nursing at St. Mary's Hospital. Three women were in the first graduating class in 1903. The school of nursing opened about 1900.
Interior photograph showing the parlor of the old Holy Angels Academy in North Minneapolis, complete with art works, chairs and other parlor decor. The all girls' school was owned and operated by the Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet from 1877-1928.
Three girls sit at pianos in practice rooms at the old Angels Academy in North Minneapolis. The Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet owned and operated the school as a private elementary and secondary school from 1877 to 1907, when the high school was transferred to St. Margaret's Academy. The grade school closed in 1928.
Students arranged on the front stairs of St. Margaret's Academy. St. Margaret's Academy (at two sites -- one in North Minneapolis and a second site (1960) in the Kenwood neighborhood) was owned and operated by the Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet from 1907-1974. It included a grade school from 1907-1920. It offered an excellent academic education, as well as courses in art and music, and in commercial subjects.
Workcrew in front of the second addition (at Riverside and 24th) to St. Mary's Hospital. In succeeding years, up to 1991, the Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet continued to add buildings to provide professional services to patients and to attract doctors and nurses to its professional staff.
Three buildings at the former McNair residence (1301 Linden Ave. North) used by the Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet as St. Margaret's Academy, a private secondary school. The school remained at this location until 1960, when a new school was built in the Kenwood area of Minneapolis.
Sister Madeleine Lyons, who served in various positions at four hospitals, was an excellent example of the contributions of the Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet in the health care industry. A the time of her death, one newspaper reported, "Her death symbolized the passing of a true spirit of the service of sisterhood in nursing.Young girls entering the period of hospital training looked to her for guidance and saw the image of sacrifice and loving care they wished to emulate."