This photograph by F.A. Taylor shows the Duluth hillside from below Superior Street and between 3rd and 4th Avenues East; probably from the late 1880s, it shows First Presbyterian Church (built in 1870) in the upper left corner, at 231 East 2nd Street.
This photograph by Paul B. Gaylord shows the Merchant's Hotel, 202-204 West Superior Street in Duluth after a fire on February 28, 1884. The hotel was designed by architect George Wirth and built in 1882.
Superior street and first avenue east looking west; building signs on upper side; Globe Hotel and Restaurant boardwalk;the buildings at the right in the foreground are about 201-205 East Superior Street just east of Second Avenue East, they burned in the spring of 1875
University of Minnesota Duluth, Kathryn A. Martin Library, Northeast Minnesota Historical Collections