Congregation standing in front of church; address of Jacoby's Artistic studio listed as 252 Nicollet Ave; donor identified church as First Free Baptist Church which was erected in 1871 and taken down 1891; it was located on Washington Ave near 1st Ave. N (not located on 1887 city atlas); cannot verify that any churches listed on verso of card were the church on the stereographic card.
Hennepin County Library, James K. Hosmer Special Collections Library
The interior of the Union Presbyterian Church in St. Peter, Minnesota, is shown in this stereograph. The church, which has been extensively remodeled inside, faces South Third Street on the northwestern corner of the intersection with West Locust Street.
Early years in St. Joseph, Minnesota (1863-1880). Mother Aloysia (Helen) Bath, the first American-born prioress of St. Benedict's Convent, was born in Addison, WI in 1849. Helen entered the community of the Sisters of St. Agnes in Baron, WI, in 1864 and was given the name Sister Agatha. She transferred to the community in St. Joseph, MN in 1871, changed her name to Aloysia, and professed vows there in 1875. Two years later, she was appointed prioress of the community in St. Joseph by Abbot Rupert Seidenbusch, to fill out Mother Antonia Herman's term. Mother Aloysia resigned shortly before her term ended. However, nine years later, she was elected by the community to serve another term as prioress. Though of frail health, Mother Aloysia led the community in beginning the construction of a new convent and academy building in St. Joseph, in accepting four new schools in Minnesota, the American Indian mission in White Earth, MN, and a school in Bismarck. ND. She was an experienced teacher who had been in charge of several schools, including the large school in St. Joseph's Parish in Minneapolis. Mother Aloysia's greatest efforts were spent staffing schools in the face of school controversies and in developing a teacher-training program in the community so that young sisters would be sent out as certified teachers. Her contemplative spirit inspired the sisters to work for a balance in their work and prayer (Saint Benedict's Monastery Archives; McDonald, pages 73-78, 89).
This is the First Lutheran Church in St. Peter, also known as the Swedish Lutheran Church. It was located on the northwest corner of the intersection of South Fourth and Elm Streets, facing Fourth Street.
A stereograph showing the interior of the Northfield Methodist Church built in 1877 at the corner of Washington and Third Streets. It was formally dedicated in January 1883. The church is decorated with many spring flowers in pots.
Minnesota Annual Conference United Methodist Church