Schools in north-central Minnesota (1871-1909). Some of the sisters teaching in Duluth before the separation of the Duluth sisters from St. Benedict's in St. Joseph are identified as follows. Top Row - left to right: S. Catherine Siefner, Clementine Jastrzenska, Florentine Cannon, Augustine Terhaar, Margaret Dellwo (Delleveaux); (Bottom Row - left to right): S. Bertha Cherrier, Regina Otto, Cornelia Berg, Anastasia Gerard, Magdalen Walker. Duluth was first settled because of a short-lived rumor in 1854 that copper and ore were found on the North Shore. It was not until 1869, when Duluth was connected to St. Paul by railroad, that the population began to grow. Though Duluth experienced a five-year set back in 1873 when Jay Cooke's (financier of the railroad-to-the-Pacific) financial empire collapsed, it became the ore capital and the grain and lumber harbor of the Northwest. Parish communities and schools began to flourish and the Benedictine sisters from St. Joseph, MN, responded to invitations to teach there: in 1881, five sisters from St. Joseph opened Sacred Heart School for over 200 children in an old carriage shop, but the pastor closed that school; in 1883, seven sisters returned to Sacred Heart Parish and taught in a public school building until a new school (St. Thomas Aquinas) was built; in 1885 sisters began teaching in St. Stanislaus School in the Polish parish, St. Mary Star of the Sea; in 1887 they opened St. Clement School and also the Store-Front School on Garfield Avenue for the French parish; in 1891 the sisters opened St. Anthony's School. All of these mission schools, as well as St. Mary's Hospital, were transferred to St. Benedict's new daughterhouse which was established in Duluth in 1892. Prompted by her deposition as prioress in St. Joseph, it was the energy and the independent pioneer spirit of Mother Scholastica Kerst that effected the separation of the sisters in Duluth from the motherhouse in St. Joseph. While only 20 of the 43 sisters in Duluth opted to join the newly-formed community, Villa Sancta Scholastica, the separation strained the resources of both communities. However, both rallied and flourished in Minnesota. The Benedictines in Duluth today conduct the College of St. Scholastica and a Benedictine Health Care System (Saint Benedict's Monastery Archives; Olsenius, pages 23-24).
In 1892, the first ceremonies were held accepting new members into the Duluth Benedictine community. Back row, reception of novices, left to right, back row: Sister Benedict Mlynek, Sister Margaret Mary Borsch, Sister James Roche. Front row, Sister Leonissa Sauber, perpetual vows, Sister Jeremia Cannon, first vows.
The Kerst sisters, Mother Scholastica (1847-1911) and Sister Alexia (1856-1915) were among the group of Benedictine sisters to come from St. Benedict's Convent in St. Joseph, Minnesota, to found the new Benedictine community in Duluth in 1892.
Revered Albin N. Osterholm, a seminary student at Carleton College, served at Swedish Christian Mission Church during the summer of 1897. This is a portrait of Reverend Osterholm and his wife taken during the summer of 1897. Portrait once belonged to Mrs. Sundquist.
Reverend J.E.Seth, pastor of the West End Mission Church (now First Covenant Church, Duluth, Minnesota), filled the Svenska Missions Kyrkan pulpit from time to time. This family portrait was taken in 1897.Reverend Seth served the West End Mission Church from 1895-1898.
In 1900, several Duluth Benedictine Sisters host a tea party for a guest at the original St. Ann's Home. When the original St. Mary's Hospital moved to east Duluth in 1898, the building was converted to first an orphanage and then a rest home. Left to right, Sister Camillus Gretsch, Sister Caroline Scheffold, Sister Madeline Heinen and guest.
St. Louis County record of the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th Articles of the Articles of Incorporation of the Swedish Christian Mission Church, Duluth, Minnesota. This is a negative copy of the original document which was lost in the 1932 church fire
St. Louis County record of the Preamble and 1st article of the Articles of Incorporation of the Swedish Christian Mission Church, Duluth, Minnesota. This is a negative copy of the original document which was lost in the 1932 church fire