Photo montage of Benjamin and Bereth Wollan and their children. The Wollan family were early merchants in Pope County starting the White Bear Center store, Wollan Bros. Store and the Fremad Association. The Fremad Association grew to a major commercial enterprise including mercantile department store, lumber yard and bank.
Studio portrait of Tory Thorson (1846-1899). Thorson served in the Civil War in the 2nd Wisconsin Calvary. He was also the first Minnesota State Legislator from Pope County, served as Pope County Clerk of Court, Postmaster and Judge of Probate.
Hans Johnshoy (1847-1937) arrived in Pope County from Norway via Wisconsin in 1870, settling in Blue Mounds Township. Hans Johnshoy wrote recollections of his pioneer life and the building up of Blue Mounds Township and Barsness and Immanuel Churches. Standing; Clara, Herman, Casper. Seated: Hans, Selma, Mari, Walter, Kari Myrum Johnshoy (Hans' mother.)
A group of six boys are posed with newspaper carrier bags and newspapers (Rochester Daily Post); left to right: Clarence Sisson, Harry Gilman, Irwin Churchill, Edward Britzius, Arthur Bogart, Eddie Enquest (Enquist)
The office of the Rochester Telephone Company (organized in 1895) was located over Farm's Grocery Store on Zumbro Street West (now 2nd Street SW). ; The first telephone service for general use had 75 subscribers. This interior view shows women telephone operators working at the manual switch board (left to right): Lydia Witteau, Katherine Casey, Frances Lund, Carrie Hanson, Ophelia Delaney, Susie Arndt, Mabel Bascomb, Hilda Hanson.
Telephone switchboard in Mankato in 1899, picturing Kitty Corroll, Sybil Jewison, Mrs. Mason Hynson, Mr. Kellogg (contractor), and Mr. C. K. Willard (first manager), with note saying, "First switchboard installed in 1899."