Logs were shipped by rail from northern Minnesota to Stillwater and made into rafts. They were then floated down the St. Croix and Mississippi Rivers. The rafts usually consisted of 8 to 10 strings of logs fastened side by side, each string measuring 16 across and about 400 feet long. Some of these enormous rafts stretched 4 or 5 acres in size.
At the boom, floating timbers chained between piers caught and contained logs for sorting and measuring and rigging into rafts. At one time, the Stillwater boom extended a distance of 9 miles and employed 400 men to sort, scale and raft timber.
Bird's-eye view taken from Church Hill of Lanesboro power dam built over the Root River in 1868. It was constructed on a foundation of solid stone and anchored at each side by rock bluffs. Houses and various village buildings are seen on north side of river. Photo taken by unknown photographer and later copied by Bue.
View of Minnehaha Falls, two persons in what appears to be Native American dress are standing separately by the falls; image is invoking the "Song of Hiawatha" poem by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow; trees and plants are quite bare of leaves.
Hennepin County Library, James K. Hosmer Special Collections Library