The Minneapolis, Lyndale & Minnetonka Railway ran steam powered trains between downtown Minneapolis, Lake Minnetonka and Minnehaha Park. Within the city they ran down the street. This is 31st Street and Nicollet Avenue.
Streetcar 169 with trailer 136. This photo shows the first electric streetcars on the first line in Saint Paul on February 22, 1890. Thomas Lowry and Archbishop John Ireland are in the front row on 169.
Looking northwest at a southbound car on Greenbrier Street. The caption reads "1880, and this is last car on Greenbrier before the line was moved to Payne Avenue" The caption appears to be incorrect as the line stayed on Greenbrier. The car depicted wasn't delivered until 1884.
Streetcar 78 was built for Duluth in 1892 by the Laclede Car Company of St. Louis. It survives today in the collection of the Minnesota Streetcar Museum and operates at its streetcar line in Excelsior.
Central Hillside; downtown; Duluth Skyride; Seventh Avenue West incline railway; tracks; view up Seventh Avenue West in downtown Duluth; brick row house; apartment buildings; power lines; people; houses; trees; stairs; sidewalk; pedestrians; summer; the incline was put into service late in 1891 to connect Superior Street streetcar lines with a line running a short distance from the hilltop into Duluth Heights; the original cars were large enough to hold four teams of horses with wagons as well as large groups of people; in 1911 two news cars were installed under control of an operator at the top of the hill; a conductor opened and closed the doors and collected fares; its last run was Labor Day 1939
University of Minnesota Duluth, Kathryn A. Martin Library, Northeast Minnesota Historical Collections