Pierre Bottineau and G. A. Bracket chart the course westward for the Northern Pacific Railway in 1869. This photo also includes an Indian woman, two Indian men, and twenty-five railroad scouts. Photo of the expeditionary force was taken on the second day out.
Schools in south-central Minnesota (1876-1909). In 1875, St. Joseph's parish, situated in the heart of Minneapolis, opened a small school for 50 pupils under the care of the Sisters of Charity. The following year, because of an expected increase in enrollment, the Benedictine Sisters from St. Joseph, MN, were asked to assume charge of the school. By 1882, a large new parish school was built. Within 30 years, the enrollment increased to 400 with 8 sisters teaching (Saint Benedict's Monastery Archives).