Sunday school class led by the Reverend James Ansel Sutton, who is in the center of the group. Sutton was an 1888 Hamline University graduate and he served as a Methodist Episcopal minister in Minnesota, Washington, Alaska, and California.
Schools in south-central Minnesota (1876-1909). By 1890, St. Bernard's Parish, clustered around Rice Street in St. Paul, furnished a combination church and school for 220 pupils. Three Benedictine sisters opened a mission there. With frequent additions and finally a new school, St. Bernard's became the largest grade school staffed by the Benedictine sisters -- eventually having an enrollment of 1,280 students (Saint Benedict's Monastery Archives).
Schools in south-central Minnesota (1876-1909). The original group of three Benedictine sisters who opened St. Bernard's School: Sisters Eugenia ONeill (seated), Secunda Hansen (right), Auxilia Kapsner (left). The number of sisters at St. Bernard's Parish increased in subsequent years to thirty sisters serving on the faculty of St. Bernard's School (Saint Benedict's Monastery Archives).
Luther Seminary moved to this facility on Hamline Avenue in St. Paul in 1899 and remained there until its 1917 merger with Red Wing Seminary and the United Church Seminary at the latter's campus in the St. Anthony Park neighborhood of St. Paul. This building is on the corner of Hamline Avenue and Capitol Avenue. Back of photograph reads: Rev. O.E. Brandt, Luther Seminary, Capitol & Hamline.
Dinner for delegates of the General Conference of the Evangelical Association in 1899 held at the Pine Street church in St. Paul. Bishops Horn, Breyfogel and Bowman are identified in the photograph. "St. Paul Pine Street church extended the invitation for the General Conference of the Evangelical Association to hold its annual meeting in St. Paul. A vacant store building was rented and fitted up for a dining hall and kitchen on the first floor. The second floor was made into sleeping apartments" (Utzinger's History of the Minnesota Conference of the Evangelical Association 1856 to 1922, p. 181). This is the only time the General Conference met in Minnesota. To finance the event offerings were taken at all of the Minnesota Conference congregations and $403.29 was raised.
Minnesota Annual Conference United Methodist Church
This photo depicts the cornerstone laying for the United Church Seminary building. The cornerstone is inscribed with the date ""1900,"" but we know the building was not used until 1902, so the exact timing of events requires more research. It was not uncommon to mark cornerstones with the centennial dating to capture the spirit of the age, even if it was not the exact date. This building was later renamed Bockman Hall. Note the people watching the ceremony from the window openings and the open umbrellas even though it doesn't appear to be raining. Back of photograph reads: Bockman Hall, 1899-1900, Luther Seminary, Cornerstone laying.
The first church in New Brighton was the First Congregational Church of New Brighton, incorporated on September 5, 1890. This church was built in 1892 at a cost of $1500. It was located on the west side of Fifth Avenue and Sixth Street.
By 1887, the number of orphans increased to 47 boys and 43 girls and a new wing was added to St. Joseph's Orphanage in St. Paul. However, this orphanage quickly outgrew its downtown location and became a problem for Assumption Parish where they were educated. A suitable place was found at the outskirts of the city on Randolph Street. Here a large orphanage, including farm buildings and a shop for the boys, was built in 1900. Through the years, the sisters' salary remained at $10.00 a month. Despite some diocesan aid, the sisters were forced to go begging for funds throughout the state; some went with wagons, soliciting food from hotels and bakeries. Later this orphanage became known as St. Joseph's Home for Children and eventually was merged with Minneapolis Catholic Boys Home and moved to the Minneapolis location (Saint Benedict's Monastery Archives).
The United Church built a new seminary at 2375 Como Avenue in the St. Anthony Park neighborhood of St. Paul. Shown here is the building's dedication at the annual meeting of the United Norwegian Lutheran Church in 1902. The building was later named for Markus Olaus Bockman (1849-1942), professor and president of the United Church Seminary, 1893-1917, and its successor, Luther Theological Seminary 1917-1930. Front of photograph reads: Annual Meeting of Norw American Church at St. Anthony Seminary. Back of photograph reads: United Seminary main building, dedication, aka Bockman Hall.
Members of the choir for the Chapel of St. Thomas Aquinas at the College of St. Thomas. Front row (left to right): Paul O'Gorman, Professor Leo Bruenner (director), Thomas A. Welch and Mathiaas O'Laughlin. Second Row (left to right) unknown, James Griffin, Homer Hogan, James Bynes, Thomas Kerwick, James Curran, Edward Casey. Third Row (left to right): William Grace, Michael Powers, Maurice Ryan, and Martin Cullen. Back row (left to right): George Sullivan, Benjamin Kelly, James O'Hara, Michael Healy, Lawrence Ryan, James Nolan, Peter Tibesar, John Wagner.
The United Church built housing for its faculty on the St. Anthony Park campus. This panoramic views shows the United Church Seminary building (later named Bockman Hall) on the left and faculty housing on the right connected by dirt roads.
Shown here is an exterior of the United Church Seminary in the St. Anthony Park neighborhood of St. Paul. Until the library was built in 1948, this single building housed classrooms, faculty offices, recreational areas, a chapel, and student dormitories for the entire seminary. The building was later named for Markus Olaus Bockman (1849-1942), professor and president of the United Church Seminary, 1893-1917, and its successor, Luther Theological Seminary, 1917-1930.
Young women were recruited from Ireland and Canada in the late 1800s and early 1900s to join the Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet. (Some considered this increase in membership an unnatural growth.) By the turn of the century there were 428 Sisters of St. Joseph in the St. Paul Province to help administer and staff the schools and hospitals in the care of the community. Pictured here, according to note attached to photograph, back row (left to right): Sisters Matthew, Cuthberta, Peter, Blanda. Middle row (left to right) Sisters Oswina, Odelia, Jarleth, Illirius, Salome, Candida, Placidia, Pius. Front row (left to right) Sisters Honorata, Michael, Celsus, Lucy, St. Kevin, Victor, Erma.
Frontal view of the third Mount Zion Temple in St. Paul, Minnesota, located at Holly Avenue and Avon Street, designed in the classical style. This was the location prior to the fourth and current Mount Zion on Summit Avenue, designed in the modernist Bauhaus style.
University of Minnesota Libraries, Nathan and Theresa Berman Upper Midwest Jewish Archives
The Muskego Settlement in southeastern Wisconsin was founded by Norwegian settlers in 1839. One early settler was Even Heg, later a celebrated Civil War colonel, whose barn provided a way station for many a new immigrant and a meeting place for worship services. In the fall of 1843, the fledgling congregation issued a letter of call to C.L. (Claus Lauritz) Clausen who was ordained in Heg's home on October 18. On Palm Sunday, 1844, a new church building was dedicated, the interior of which is shown here. This building, Muskego Church, was moved to the campus of the United Church Seminary in the St. Anthony Park neighborhood of St. Paul in 1904, where it stands today. Muskego Church is still used for commemorations and special services.
This photo shows seminary students in a classroom at the United Church Seminary in the St. Anthony Park neighborhood of St. Paul in 1905 or 1906. Note the formal dress and the gas lamps. Seminary students and clergy at that time were exclusively male. Front of photograph reads: United Lutheran Seminary student body, 1905-06, in the classroom of Bockman Hall, first floor, west side. This was made into dormitory rooms when Bockman Hall was remodeled in 1956. Notice the plug hats, the class pictures and the gas lighting.
A common practice in the early part of the 20th century was to have photographs printed on ""picture postcard"" stock. This photo, from the Constance W. Johnson collection, shows the interior of the chapel in the United Church Seminary building. Back of postcard reads: Chapel in Bockman Hall, Luther Theological Seminary.
A common practice in the early part of the 20th century was to have photographs printed on ""picture postcard"" stock. This photo, from the Constance W. Johnson collection, shows the gymnasium at the United Church Seminary. Three children are posed on the parallel bars. Some equipment items shown are: parallel bars, free weight, punching bag, juggling pins, rings. Back of postcard reads: Gymnasium, Bockman Hall, Luther Theological Seminary, Constance Weswig Johnson in center.
A common practice in the early part of the 20th century was to have photographs printed on ""picture postcard"" stock. This photo, from the collection of Constance W. Johnson, shows United Church Seminary students relaxing outside the seminary building, ca. 1905. Back of postcard reads: LTS seminary students outside Bockman Hall ca. 1905.
Though often stereotyped as the sternest of the Norwegian-American Lutherans, this photo shows a group of Norwegian Synod seminary students having fun with a good old-fashioned snowball fight at its seminary, Luther Seminary, on Hamline Avenue. Front of photograph reads: Snow-balling at Lut. Sem., 1906.