Schools in south-central Minnesota (1876-1909). By 1890, St. Bernard's Parish, clustered around Rice Street in St. Paul, furnished a combination church and school for 220 pupils. Three Benedictine sisters opened a mission there. With frequent additions and finally a new school, St. Bernard's became the largest grade school staffed by the Benedictine sisters -- eventually having an enrollment of 1,280 students (Saint Benedict's Monastery Archives).
Harris Brothers Forge and Rolling Mill began in the Irondale area in 1891. This mill turned bundles of scrap iron into large balls which were made into various shapes and forms. Seventy-five company homes were built for workers and their families near the mill. Ruinous fires brought the demise of the iron foundry in 1893.
Schools in south-central Minnesota (1876-1909). The original group of three Benedictine sisters who opened St. Bernard's School: Sisters Eugenia ONeill (seated), Secunda Hansen (right), Auxilia Kapsner (left). The number of sisters at St. Bernard's Parish increased in subsequent years to thirty sisters serving on the faculty of St. Bernard's School (Saint Benedict's Monastery Archives).
Looking northwest at a southbound car on Greenbrier Street. The caption reads "1880, and this is last car on Greenbrier before the line was moved to Payne Avenue" The caption appears to be incorrect as the line stayed on Greenbrier. The car depicted wasn't delivered until 1884.
Henry Leslie Osborn residence, 1599 Hewitt Avenue, looking west. Osborn was a Hamline University professor, dean, and acting president (1887-1932). Three women stand on the front porch. The one on the left appears to be Osborn's wife, Effie, who taught piano at Hamline.
Henry Leslie Osborn residence, 1599 Hewitt Avenue, looking north. Osborn was a Hamline University professor, dean, and acting president (1887-1932). Three women are on the front porch. The one on the left appears to be Osborn's wife, Effie, who taugh piano at Hamline. The reflection of the first Hancock School building can be seen in window on the first floor.
Exterior view of Edwards hall, a boarding club for men at Macalester College, with residents posing in front. Edwards Hall was located at the end of Princeton Avenue Caption reads "Early days of Edward's Hall." Contributed by a Class of 1898 alum.
Caption on the back reads, "James Murray in his room. Cont. by Dean R.U. Jones." Dean Jones was Macalester Class of 1901, Head of the Chemistry Department from 1903-1941, and Dean of the College from 1917-1936.
St. Thomas Literary and Debating Society in front of the old Administration Building. Seated in the front are the officers of the society: William O'Malley, Vice President; Reverend Terence Moore, President; Reverend William Lunner; James Doyle, Secretary.
Luther Seminary moved to this facility on Hamline Avenue in St. Paul in 1899 and remained there until its 1917 merger with Red Wing Seminary and the United Church Seminary at the latter's campus in the St. Anthony Park neighborhood of St. Paul. This building is on the corner of Hamline Avenue and Capitol Avenue. Back of photograph reads: Rev. O.E. Brandt, Luther Seminary, Capitol & Hamline.