Image on top is Hamline University's chapel (now known as Bridgman Hall) on the second floor of University Hall (also known as Old Main). A portrait of Bishop Leonidas Lent Hamline is on the wall over the stage. On the bottom is the first library on Hamline's Saint Paul campus, which was behind the chapel in University Hall.
Hamline University student group at 1599 Hewitt Avenuel. Back row from left: Lois Nettie Marsh, Robert W. Terry, Lewis Puffer, George Kinsman, Clement C. Boos, Paul Barkuloo, A.L. Richardson, Mabel H. McKinstry, ? Morehouse, George P. Watson, W.E. Bowers, Roy Allis, George P. Babcock, George E. Peck, ? Harter, Guy Caldwell, ? Sheldon, George D. Montgomery. Third row: Clinton P. Abbott, Adria D. Schuck, Arthur C. Fawcett, E.L. Heath, Hugh Crossen, Anstis C. Stebbins, Chester H. Tether, Mary Graling, Gertrude Webster, Byron O. Mork, Ida M. Wenger, W.B. Bridgman, Elmer Richardson, Maud E. Wallace, Harry R. Bridgman. Second row: Harry M. Wagner, ?, Carrol E. Payne, Raymond P. Kaighn, Bertram A. Shuman, ? Edmunds, Mel Wylie, Paul Peterson, Elinor Quigley, Gertrude Harris. Front row: Ferdinand A. Wenger, Laura A. McClay, ?, Silas A. Cook, Oliver J. Stirratt, Christie Williams, Ella Probst, B.I. Kimerer, Sarah A. Chick, Nellie Dogherty
Dinner for delegates of the General Conference of the Evangelical Association in 1899 held at the Pine Street church in St. Paul. Bishops Horn, Breyfogel and Bowman are identified in the photograph. "St. Paul Pine Street church extended the invitation for the General Conference of the Evangelical Association to hold its annual meeting in St. Paul. A vacant store building was rented and fitted up for a dining hall and kitchen on the first floor. The second floor was made into sleeping apartments" (Utzinger's History of the Minnesota Conference of the Evangelical Association 1856 to 1922, p. 181). This is the only time the General Conference met in Minnesota. To finance the event offerings were taken at all of the Minnesota Conference congregations and $403.29 was raised.
Minnesota Annual Conference United Methodist Church
This photo depicts the cornerstone laying for the United Church Seminary building. The cornerstone is inscribed with the date ""1900,"" but we know the building was not used until 1902, so the exact timing of events requires more research. It was not uncommon to mark cornerstones with the centennial dating to capture the spirit of the age, even if it was not the exact date. This building was later renamed Bockman Hall. Note the people watching the ceremony from the window openings and the open umbrellas even though it doesn't appear to be raining. Back of photograph reads: Bockman Hall, 1899-1900, Luther Seminary, Cornerstone laying.
Mounted cattlemen in front of the opulent Exchange Hotel in 1900. Built to accommodate 159 guests, the hotel, first called the Cattlemen's Hotel, was constructed at a cost of $30,000. This building housed a hotel, dining room, bank, land company, railroad offices, stock commission offices, telegraph office, newspaper presses, barber shop, saloon, and gaming rooms. It eventually became a canning factory and lastly Beisswenger's Hardware. The building was razed in October, 1988.