The farm of the John Farrell family who came to America from Ireland in 1849. They bought their first 160 acres at Lake Johanna in present-day Arden Hills, from Major McLean, the Indian agent, and the title was signed by President Millard Fillmore in 1868. The Farrell family donated the land for St. John the Baptist Catholic Church. Today Mounds View High School, the St. John's church, school and other parish buildings, the Arden Hills Ramsey County Branch Library, and the Minnesota Baptist Conference headquarters are on that property.
Northern Pacific Railway Transcontinental Train, the first northern transcontinental train, as it appeared in September, 1883, enroute from Saint Paul to Gold Creek, Montana, where on September 8 the Northern Pacific's last spike was driven. Aboard this train were President Henry Villard of the Northern Pacific, General U.S. Grant, and other dignitaries of the United State and foreign countries. Following the spike driving ceremonies, the train proceeded to Portland, Oregon.
Charles Forbes was Professor Natural Sciences at Macalester College from 1885-1892. The photograph is of the interior of his house on Summit Avenue in St. Paul. He is seated in the chair by the fireplace. Two of his children are also in the photograph. The oil painting over the fireplace is of the schooner yacht "America", painted by Dr. Forbes.
Charles Forbes was Professor of Natural Sciences at Macalester College from 1885-1892. The photograph is of the interior of his house on Summit Avenue in St. Paul. His wife, "Libbie Bruff Forbes" is seated in the photograph.
Campus of the St. Thomas Aquinas Seminary, later called the College of St. Thomas. Lake Mennith is in the foreground; the Gleason House is on the left with the St. Thomas Aquinas Seminary building on the right. Title supplied by cataloger.
Hamline University Glee Club in rehearsal on the stage of Bridgman Hall in University Hall (also known as Old Main). Arthur Z. Drew at far left. A portrait of Bishop Leonidas Lent Hamline, for whom the university is named, hangs on the back wall.
Sunday school class led by the Reverend James Ansel Sutton, who is in the center of the group. Sutton was an 1888 Hamline University graduate and he served as a Methodist Episcopal minister in Minnesota, Washington, Alaska, and California.
Group shot of the Macalester baseball team in striped hats. First row: William Porter Lee, Class of 1889; Benjamin Irvin, 1889; Albert Tyler, 1890; George Achard, 1889; Billy Morse, 1888. Second row: Billy Pitts, 1890?; Paul McCurdy, 1889; Will Kirkwood, 1890; Sam Kirkwood, 1889; Thaddeus Creswell, 1890.
Streetcar 169 with trailer 136. This photo shows the first electric streetcars on the first line in Saint Paul on February 22, 1890. Thomas Lowry and Archbishop John Ireland are in the front row on 169.
Macalester College buildings and houses, left to right: Old Main, 1st President's House at 1586 Summit Avenue, Wallace House at 1596 Summit Avenue, Eutrophian Hall? Or grocerty? on Grand Avenue, faculty house at 1620 Summit Avenue, Ramsey School on Grand Avenue
Faculty houses and a church on Summit Avenue, looking west. The church is likely the first site of Macalester Presbyterian Church at 1652 Summit. The church building was dedicated on January 12, 1890. Caption reads: "Sweep of prairie on Summit Avenue looking west. Row of faculty homes; church."
Schools in south-central Minnesota (1876-1909). By 1890, St. Bernard's Parish, clustered around Rice Street in St. Paul, furnished a combination church and school for 220 pupils. Three Benedictine sisters opened a mission there. With frequent additions and finally a new school, St. Bernard's became the largest grade school staffed by the Benedictine sisters -- eventually having an enrollment of 1,280 students (Saint Benedict's Monastery Archives).
Harris Brothers Forge and Rolling Mill began in the Irondale area in 1891. This mill turned bundles of scrap iron into large balls which were made into various shapes and forms. Seventy-five company homes were built for workers and their families near the mill. Ruinous fires brought the demise of the iron foundry in 1893.
Schools in south-central Minnesota (1876-1909). The original group of three Benedictine sisters who opened St. Bernard's School: Sisters Eugenia ONeill (seated), Secunda Hansen (right), Auxilia Kapsner (left). The number of sisters at St. Bernard's Parish increased in subsequent years to thirty sisters serving on the faculty of St. Bernard's School (Saint Benedict's Monastery Archives).
Looking northwest at a southbound car on Greenbrier Street. The caption reads "1880, and this is last car on Greenbrier before the line was moved to Payne Avenue" The caption appears to be incorrect as the line stayed on Greenbrier. The car depicted wasn't delivered until 1884.
Henry Leslie Osborn residence, 1599 Hewitt Avenue, looking west. Osborn was a Hamline University professor, dean, and acting president (1887-1932). Three women stand on the front porch. The one on the left appears to be Osborn's wife, Effie, who taught piano at Hamline.
Henry Leslie Osborn residence, 1599 Hewitt Avenue, looking north. Osborn was a Hamline University professor, dean, and acting president (1887-1932). Three women are on the front porch. The one on the left appears to be Osborn's wife, Effie, who taugh piano at Hamline. The reflection of the first Hancock School building can be seen in window on the first floor.
Exterior view of Edwards hall, a boarding club for men at Macalester College, with residents posing in front. Edwards Hall was located at the end of Princeton Avenue Caption reads "Early days of Edward's Hall." Contributed by a Class of 1898 alum.
Caption on the back reads, "James Murray in his room. Cont. by Dean R.U. Jones." Dean Jones was Macalester Class of 1901, Head of the Chemistry Department from 1903-1941, and Dean of the College from 1917-1936.
St. Thomas Literary and Debating Society in front of the old Administration Building. Seated in the front are the officers of the society: William O'Malley, Vice President; Reverend Terence Moore, President; Reverend William Lunner; James Doyle, Secretary.
Luther Seminary moved to this facility on Hamline Avenue in St. Paul in 1899 and remained there until its 1917 merger with Red Wing Seminary and the United Church Seminary at the latter's campus in the St. Anthony Park neighborhood of St. Paul. This building is on the corner of Hamline Avenue and Capitol Avenue. Back of photograph reads: Rev. O.E. Brandt, Luther Seminary, Capitol & Hamline.
Exterior view of Edwards Hall, a men's boarding club, with group portrait of boarders, 1896. Located on campus at the end of Princeton Avenue. Contributed by Richard Uriah Jones, Macalester College Class of 1901, and Macalester Head of Chemistry Department 1903-1941, and Dean of the College, 1917-1936.
Lagerstrom's Cornet Band from St. Peter at the National G. A. R. parade at St. Paul in 1896. The names of seveal membes of the band are on another copy of this photograph at the Nicollet County Historical Society.
Members of the Snyder Band, seated on the steps of the entrance to Old Main, playing musical instruments. First row: Harry W. Vincent, Class of 1898; Hugh S. Alexander, 1899; Lester D. Brown, instructor. Second row: R.E. Clark, 1899; Roy W. Smits, 1900. Third row: Mitchell, 1898; Charles W. Hansen, 1897; Arthur A. Palmer, 1897; William O. Pederson. Fourth row: Carleton Koons, 1898; John M. Guise, 1898; David W. Morgan, 1898.
Photo of eleven male band members in suits with brass musical instruments. First row: (missing); Hugh S. Alexander, Class of 1899; Ralph E. Clark, 1899. Second row: Roy Smits, 1900; (missing); Elmer Smits, 1899; (missing). Third row: (2 missing); John Guise, 1898; Carleton Koons, 1898.
A.E. Evans, Macalester College Class of 1897, standing holding a guitar in his room. Contributed by Richard Uriah Jones, Macalester College Class of 1901, and Macalester Head of Chemistry Department 1903-1941, and Dean of the College, 1917-1936.
Banks of Mississippi River overflowing, flooding homes, 1897. Contributed by Richard Uriah Jones, Macalester College Class of 1901, and Macalester Head of Chemistry Department 1903-1941, and Dean of the College, 1917-1936.
Men's football team posed in front of the entryway to West Old Main. First row: Richard U. Jones, Class of 1901; Percy Brush, 1901; Clarence D. Baker, 1898; Carleton Koons, 1898; Frances B. Oakley, 1901. Second row: Rutherford Snyder, 1901; Robert Cargill, 1901; Robert Lutz, 1899; Lewis Hughes, 1901; Roy Smits, 1900; Arie Tietma, 1900; David Morgan, 1898 (mgr). Third row: John Guise, 1898; John Crystal, 1898; John Landsborough, 1900; Jacob Smits, 1899; Arthur Brush, 1901; Floyd Brown, 1900; Charles Dade, 1898; Fred Baker, 1898.
Nineteen Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet standing in front of a St. Joseph's Hospital entrance. The Sisters opened the hospital in 1853 in the log cabin Chapel of St. Paul on Bench Street. This photo is taken at the hospital's third and current site. The hospital joined the HealthEast System in 1987.
Exterior view of old schoolhouse in St. Paul where flood refugees were housed. Contributed by Richard Uriah Jones, Macalester College Class of 1901, and Macalester Head of Chemistry Department 1903-1941, and Dean of the College, 1917-1936.
Faculty of Hamline University on the lawn in front of Old Main. Science Hall is at their backs. Sitting: William E. Thompson, Loren Harrison Batchelder, George Henry Bridgman (president), Alta Barker, George Swan Innis. Standing: Henry Leslie Osborn, Euphemia (Effie) Miller Loag Osborn, Arthur Z. Drew, and ?.
High Mississippi River with ice and debris. Contributed by Richard Uriah Jones, Macalester College Class of 1901, and Macalester Head of Chemistry Department 1903-1941, and Dean of the College, 1917-1936.
Image on top is Hamline University's campus from the northwest in winter. Buildings from left are Ladies Hall (later known as Goheen Hall), Science Hall, and University Hall (also known as Old Main). Image on bottom is a display in Hamline University's Natural History Museum, which was on the third floor of Science Hall.