The farm of the John Farrell family who came to America from Ireland in 1849. They bought their first 160 acres at Lake Johanna in present-day Arden Hills, from Major McLean, the Indian agent, and the title was signed by President Millard Fillmore in 1868. The Farrell family donated the land for St. John the Baptist Catholic Church. Today Mounds View High School, the St. John's church, school and other parish buildings, the Arden Hills Ramsey County Branch Library, and the Minnesota Baptist Conference headquarters are on that property.
Northern Pacific Railway Transcontinental Train, the first northern transcontinental train, as it appeared in September, 1883, enroute from Saint Paul to Gold Creek, Montana, where on September 8 the Northern Pacific's last spike was driven. Aboard this train were President Henry Villard of the Northern Pacific, General U.S. Grant, and other dignitaries of the United State and foreign countries. Following the spike driving ceremonies, the train proceeded to Portland, Oregon.
Charles Forbes was Professor Natural Sciences at Macalester College from 1885-1892. The photograph is of the interior of his house on Summit Avenue in St. Paul. He is seated in the chair by the fireplace. Two of his children are also in the photograph. The oil painting over the fireplace is of the schooner yacht "America", painted by Dr. Forbes.
Charles Forbes was Professor of Natural Sciences at Macalester College from 1885-1892. The photograph is of the interior of his house on Summit Avenue in St. Paul. His wife, "Libbie Bruff Forbes" is seated in the photograph.
Campus of the St. Thomas Aquinas Seminary, later called the College of St. Thomas. Lake Mennith is in the foreground; the Gleason House is on the left with the St. Thomas Aquinas Seminary building on the right. Title supplied by cataloger.
Hamline University Glee Club in rehearsal on the stage of Bridgman Hall in University Hall (also known as Old Main). Arthur Z. Drew at far left. A portrait of Bishop Leonidas Lent Hamline, for whom the university is named, hangs on the back wall.
Sunday school class led by the Reverend James Ansel Sutton, who is in the center of the group. Sutton was an 1888 Hamline University graduate and he served as a Methodist Episcopal minister in Minnesota, Washington, Alaska, and California.
Group shot of the Macalester baseball team in striped hats. First row: William Porter Lee, Class of 1889; Benjamin Irvin, 1889; Albert Tyler, 1890; George Achard, 1889; Billy Morse, 1888. Second row: Billy Pitts, 1890?; Paul McCurdy, 1889; Will Kirkwood, 1890; Sam Kirkwood, 1889; Thaddeus Creswell, 1890.
Streetcar 169 with trailer 136. This photo shows the first electric streetcars on the first line in Saint Paul on February 22, 1890. Thomas Lowry and Archbishop John Ireland are in the front row on 169.
Macalester College buildings and houses, left to right: Old Main, 1st President's House at 1586 Summit Avenue, Wallace House at 1596 Summit Avenue, Eutrophian Hall? Or grocerty? on Grand Avenue, faculty house at 1620 Summit Avenue, Ramsey School on Grand Avenue
Faculty houses and a church on Summit Avenue, looking west. The church is likely the first site of Macalester Presbyterian Church at 1652 Summit. The church building was dedicated on January 12, 1890. Caption reads: "Sweep of prairie on Summit Avenue looking west. Row of faculty homes; church."