The office of the Rochester Telephone Company (organized in 1895) was located over Farm's Grocery Store on Zumbro Street West (now 2nd Street SW). ; The first telephone service for general use had 75 subscribers. This interior view shows women telephone operators working at the manual switch board (left to right): Lydia Witteau, Katherine Casey, Frances Lund, Carrie Hanson, Ophelia Delaney, Susie Arndt, Mabel Bascomb, Hilda Hanson.
Telephone switchboard in Mankato in 1899, picturing Kitty Corroll, Sybil Jewison, Mrs. Mason Hynson, Mr. Kellogg (contractor), and Mr. C. K. Willard (first manager), with note saying, "First switchboard installed in 1899."
John Schoell telephone office, Belle Plaine. Two women at switchboard are Annie and Winnie O'Connor. Standing next to them is John Schoell. Behind switchboard is Joe Fidelduy. Man at facing left is unidentified. Walls wallpapered with large boarder. Bank of Belle Plaine calendar hanging on wall. Photograph very fragile.